Forum: Ruby on Rails Anyone using Instant-ROR on Win98?

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
15ba2d49d10d333429205fb7e61cad2d?d=identicon&s=25 Pete Marsh (Guest)
on 2007-03-02 11:01
(Received via mailing list)
I've unzipped and sarted (as there is no install as such), the instant-
ROR package, and it all starts up, and the test  apps fucntion
correctly when requested from 127.0.0.1.

However, in win98 the hosts file is located under C:\windows,
and the instant-ror package defaults for looking up the hosts file on
WinXP which has hosts in a slightly different path.

Is there any way to re-config the Instant-ROR GUI to search for hosts
in a different path under Win98.

Thanks in advance.
34a7615f38496a5dafbb3e6b721c435e?d=identicon&s=25 Mohit Sindhwani (Guest)
on 2007-03-02 11:18
(Received via mailing list)
Pete Marsh wrote:
>
> Thanks in advance.
>

I'm not using it under Win 98 (I'm on XP) but I imagine that it should
be relatively easy to change the HOSTS file yourself instead of getting
Instant Rails to do it for you.  Ask again if you are unsure about what
changes need to be made to the HOSTS file.

Cheers
Mohit.
15ba2d49d10d333429205fb7e61cad2d?d=identicon&s=25 Pete Marsh (Guest)
on 2007-03-02 11:30
(Received via mailing list)
On Mar 2, 2:16 am, Mohit Sindhwani <mo_m...@onghu.com> wrote:
> > in a different path under Win98.
>
> > Thanks in advance.
>
> I'm not using it under Win 98 (I'm on XP) but I imagine that it should
> be relatively easy to change the HOSTS file yourself instead of getting
> Instant Rails to do it for you.  Ask again if you are unsure about what
> changes need to be made to the HOSTS file.
>
> Cheers
> Mohit.

Hi Mohit, yes I changed the hosts file myself, but unfortunately, the
instant-ROR package somehow fails to read the file. Aside from this
everything functions perfectly. All the apps work under 127.0.0.1,
thre's just no way to set the dummy DNS record.
34a7615f38496a5dafbb3e6b721c435e?d=identicon&s=25 Mohit Sindhwani (Guest)
on 2007-03-02 12:18
(Received via mailing list)
> instant-ROR package somehow fails to read the file. Aside from this
> everything functions perfectly. All the apps work under 127.0.0.1,
> thre's just no way to set the dummy DNS record.
>
>
Pete, that sounds very strange.  Instant Rails changes the *actual*
HOSTS file on a system, it does not have its own hosts file.  When a web
client (like your browser) tries to access a domain, the Windows TCP/IP
stack will search the HOSTS file first (and subsequently a DNS server)
to see if the record exists and then redirect traffic accordingly.

Refer to this URL to see if it helps:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/win98/res...

These are some of the things it mentions:
Important: To use the HOSTS file for name resolution, the Enable DNS
option must be selected. To do this, use the DNS Configuration tab in
TCP/IP properties in the Network option in Control Panel.

By the way, are you able to connect to localhost?  I meant
http://localhost/ cos that's an entry that is there in the local hosts
file.

Cheers
Mohit.
34a7615f38496a5dafbb3e6b721c435e?d=identicon&s=25 Mohit Sindhwani (Guest)
on 2007-03-02 12:22
(Received via mailing list)
Mohit Sindhwani wrote:
>> Hi Mohit, yes I changed the hosts file myself, but unfortunately, the
> to see if the record exists and then redirect traffic accordingly.
> http://localhost/ cos that's an entry that is there in the local hosts file.
>
> Cheers
> Mohit.
>

Also check if you need to restart Win 98 for the changes to take effect.

Cheers
Mohit.
15ba2d49d10d333429205fb7e61cad2d?d=identicon&s=25 Pete Marsh (Guest)
on 2007-03-02 12:46
(Received via mailing list)
On Mar 2, 3:16 am, Mohit Sindhwani <mo_m...@onghu.com> wrote:
> > everything functions perfectly. All the apps work under 127.0.0.1,
> These are some of the things it mentions:
> Important: To use the HOSTS file for name resolution, the Enable DNS
> option must be selected. To do this, use the DNS Configuration tab in
> TCP/IP properties in the Network option in Control Panel.
>
> By the way, are you able to connect to localhost?  I meanthttp://localhost/cos that's an 
entry that is there in the local hosts file.


Yes it's puzzling. Certainly the windows hosts file has been edited
correctly, I may need to manually reconfigure the TCP/IP settings as
well. I'll have to try that in the morning. Thanks again.
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.