Forum: Ruby mini_magick vs image_science

7c8f1ac636d1e3ed78c4e3797312b8df?d=identicon&s=25 Jonathan Denni (bluebottle)
on 2007-02-28 20:45
I simply want to resize images.  Which is easier to install/use and uses
less memory?
7c8f1ac636d1e3ed78c4e3797312b8df?d=identicon&s=25 Jonathan Denni (bluebottle)
on 2007-02-28 20:46
oh, and I mean to install mini_magick or image_science themselves, and
all their required programs and whatnot.
On Thu, 1 Mar 2007, Jonathan Denni wrote:

> oh, and I mean to install mini_magick or image_science themselves, and
> all their required programs and whatnot.

depends on what you have installed already.  do you have image magick
installed?

-a
7c8f1ac636d1e3ed78c4e3797312b8df?d=identicon&s=25 Jonathan Denni (bluebottle)
on 2007-02-28 21:12
unknown wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Mar 2007, Jonathan Denni wrote:
>
>> oh, and I mean to install mini_magick or image_science themselves, and
>> all their required programs and whatnot.
>
> depends on what you have installed already.  do you have image magick
> installed?
>
> -a

I don't have anything installed :D

I have mac osx, so I have ruby, and I installed rubygems, but I don't
have any rubygems installed [and have never used any before]
B33ea5c12d767bfd1253940a960274f5?d=identicon&s=25 Tim Hunter (timhunter)
on 2007-03-01 16:50
Jonathan Denni wrote:
> unknown wrote:
>> On Thu, 1 Mar 2007, Jonathan Denni wrote:
>>
>>> oh, and I mean to install mini_magick or image_science themselves, and
>>> all their required programs and whatnot.
>>
>> depends on what you have installed already.  do you have image magick
>> installed?
>>
>> -a
>
> I don't have anything installed :D
>

> I have mac osx, so I have ruby, and I installed rubygems, but I don't
> have any rubygems installed [and have never used any before]

I've never used mini_magick, but I understand that it's a wrapper around
ImageMagick's mogrify command. There's a Mac OS X binary for ImageMagick
here: http://www.imagemagick.org/script/binary-releases.php. It may be
as simple as installing the ImageMagick binary and then installing the
mini_magick gem.