Forum: Ruby RubyGems for Ruby 1.9

2f24c382600d9fd71085a74251fd5a39?d=identicon&s=25 Damian Terentyev (Guest)
Good day all!
I have problems installing and running RubyGems with Ruby 1.9.
Most of all they arise because of File.exists? method was changed to
File.exist?, but there may be other inconsistencies as well.
Has anyone successfully installed RubyGems for 1.9?
Maybe it is possible  to get RubyGems from subversion repository?

I also have another question — maybe anyone knows what was the purpose
of changing the name of the aforementioned method, because at first
sight it seems to contradict Ruby english-like syntax and the Principle
of Least Surprise.

Yours sincerely,
Damian/Three-eyed Fish
On Feb 27, 2007, at 05:39, Damian Terentyev wrote:
> I have problems installing and running RubyGems with Ruby 1.9.
> Most of all they arise because of File.exists? method was changed
> to File.exist?, but there may be other inconsistencies as well.

Do you have a patch?  Please file it in the RubyGems bug tracker.
(If you post it here, I'm sure it will get lost.)

> Has anyone successfully installed RubyGems for 1.9?

Not recently, no.  1.9 is too much of a moving target to say any
particular piece of software is guaranteed to work with it.

> Maybe it is possible  to get RubyGems from subversion repository?

Unlikely.  I don't believe any such changes have been made.

> I also have another question — maybe anyone knows what was the
> purpose of changing the name of the aforementioned method, because
> at first sight it seems to contradict Ruby english-like syntax and
> the Principle of Least Surprise.

It was deprecated in 1.8.