Forum: Ferret Ferret 0.11.0 tests segfault

Florent Solt (Guest)
on 2007-02-26 10:40
I have an important segfault when I create the index (via
Ferret::Index::FieldInfos#create_index).
I decided to run the tests, this is what I have :

$> ruby test_all.rb
Loaded suite test_all
Started
....................EEEEEEEE./unit/../unit/index/../../unit/store/../../unit/analysis/../../unit/utils/../../unit/query_parser/../../unit/search/tc_filter.rb:11:
[BUG] Segmentation fault
ruby 1.8.5 (2006-12-04) [i686-linux]

Aborted

Dave, any idea ?
maz (Guest)
on 2007-02-26 17:30
Florent Solt wrote:
> I have an important segfault when I create the index (via
> Ferret::Index::FieldInfos#create_index).
> I decided to run the tests, this is what I have :
>
> $> ruby test_all.rb
> Loaded suite test_all
> Started

....................EEEEEEEE./unit/../unit/index/../../unit/store/../../unit/analysis/../../unit/utils/../../unit/query_parser/../../unit/search/tc_filter.rb:11:
> [BUG] Segmentation fault
> ruby 1.8.5 (2006-12-04) [i686-linux]
>
> Aborted
>

> Dave, any idea ?

After a few tests, it seems that this segfault is triggered when Ferret
is
compiled with GCC 4.1.*, _without_ -fstack-protector.

Some Linux distributions (like Ubuntu) provide GCC with
-fstack-protector
enabled by default, hence the bug is triggered when compiling with
-fno-stack-protector. This is why it looks like a distribution-dependant
bug.

I didn't investigate further, but it looks like there's a stack overflow
somewhere.

--
Maz
David Balmain (Guest)
> ruby 1.8.5 (2006-12-04) [i686-linux]
>
> Aborted
>

> Dave, any idea ?

I'll try and get another version out tomorrow for people to try.
Hopefully it will fix the problem. If anyone who is getting these bugs
and is able to give me ssh access to their server, please let me know
privately.

Dave
Florent Solt (Guest)
on 2007-02-26 18:08
David Balmain wrote:

> I'll try and get another version out tomorrow for people to try.
> Hopefully it will fix the problem. If anyone who is getting these bugs
> and is able to give me ssh access to their server, please let me know
> privately.
>
> Dave

I'm sorry Dave, I can't :(

The easiest way is maybe to test with in a VMWare or qemu.
The linux I use is "Arch Linux", it's a lightweigt one with
rubygems packaged. As Maz said, you should not use Ubuntu
because they add the "stack-protector".

Florent.
David Balmain (Guest)
On 2/27/07, maz <maz@rift.fr> wrote:
> > [BUG] Segmentation fault
>
> Maz
Thanks Maz, that helps a lot. I wish I knew that earlier.