Forum: Ruby on Rails Installing FreeImage/ImageScience?

59ea1b450935b9d70abfec4186b7a4d5?d=identicon&s=25 Jeff Coleman (progressions)
on 2007-02-26 07:36
Is it possible to install and use FreeImage and ImageScience on my local
Windows XP machine as well as my remote Linux Rails host?

I'd love to use a more efficient solution than RMagick but I'm a little
mystified at the instructions for getting started with ImageScience.  I
see that there's a DLL which can be downloaded for Windows use, but
where would I put that?

Would I be better off going with minimagick if this is above my head at
the moment?

Thanks,
Jeff
Bdf58572897dc265e92bf19f9fbb61a5?d=identicon&s=25 bobes (Guest)
I haven't tried ImageScience yet, but it is possible to use
ImageMagick without RMagick. MiniMagick is one option but if you only
need simple operations, you can do it directly in your code. See
http://atomgiant.com/2007/01/22/dead-simple-image-...
as a starting point and ImageMagick commands documentation for further
possibilities...

-- bobes

On Feb 26, 7:36 am, Jeff Coleman <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>
59ea1b450935b9d70abfec4186b7a4d5?d=identicon&s=25 Jeff Coleman (progressions)
on 2007-02-27 05:58
Thanks bobes, I'll consider that option!

In the meantime, does anybody know anything about installing
ImageScience to use it locally on Windows and remotely on Linux?

Jeff

Jeff Coleman wrote:

> Thanks bobes, I'll consider that option!
>
> In the meantime, does anybody know anything about installing
> ImageScience to use it locally on Windows and remotely on Linux?

Jeff,

Did you figure this out at all?  I am trying to get FreeImage working on
my machine, and I've got the RubyInline attempting to compile whatever C
code ImageScience throws at it, but I get compilation errors during that
process.

Any info. would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Wes
Cad307112aab24d928964d6355a851e8?d=identicon&s=25 Laby Labby (laby01)
on 2007-08-28 20:43
Wes Gamble wrote:
> Jeff Coleman wrote:
>>
>> Thanks bobes, I'll consider that option!
>>
>> In the meantime, does anybody know anything about installing
>> ImageScience to use it locally on Windows and remotely on Linux?
>>

> Jeff,
>
> Did you figure this out at all?  I am trying to get FreeImage working on
> my machine, and I've got the RubyInline attempting to compile whatever C
> code ImageScience throws at it, but I get compilation errors during that
> process.
>
> Any info. would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Wes

Jeff or Wes,

Did either of you find out on getting FreeImage working locally on
windows XP environment?  I have looked at tutorials online, and it seems
quite mystical in terms of how to set up FreeImage.  I placed the
freeimage.dll in the windows directory and loaded up it up using
start->run->regsvr32 FreeImage.dll
I get a freeimage.dll was loaded, but the DllRegisterServer entry point
was not found.  This file cannot be registered.  I'm not even sure if
this is the right way to do it.

If either of you could provide some isight on this, that would be great.

Thanks,
lab
lab,

I gave up.  Sorry that I can't be of more help.

Wes
Cad307112aab24d928964d6355a851e8?d=identicon&s=25 Laby Labby (laby01)
on 2007-08-29 15:51
Wes Gamble wrote:
> lab,
>
> I gave up.  Sorry that I can't be of more help.
>
> Wes

Ok, thanks anyway.
lol first time I had trouble installing something for a windows platform
(and that works well on others)...always a first time for everything I
suppose! :)

lab