Forum: Ruby on Rails AJAX and UURL

9c94250a76c3b78ce49eb9541981b06b?d=identicon&s=25 E-minenz Dot com (e-minenz)
on 2007-02-26 06:31
My application is designed such that when a user clicks on a document, a
new Ajax box opens up. This is convenient in that it does not force
reload of an entire page.

However, it comes to this problem -- when a user wants to bookmark or
share that link, they do not have the URL to save. I conveninently
provide a direct URL link to the document, but most of my users never
seem to notice, and always copy URL at the top of their browser.

Is there a way to deal with this? For example, can I change the URL at
the top of their browser when they click on a document?
61cb6399bf6fe72babb700641da1ddea?d=identicon&s=25 Brendon (Guest)
My guess would be that you need to make the whole browser window load
the page. What if you made the link load the whole page (which would
still visually look like the old page), but it then pops up the
document? That way the url would represent the right way to access the
document.

Sometimes Ajax isn't the best option if you want your address bar to
maintain the state of your application.

Cheers,

Brendon

On Feb 26, 6:31 pm, E-minenz Dot com <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-
On 26 Feb 2007, at 07:05, Brendon wrote:

> My guess would be that you need to make the whole browser window load
> the page. What if you made the link load the whole page (which would
> still visually look like the old page), but it then pops up the
> document? That way the url would represent the right way to access the
> document.
>
> Sometimes Ajax isn't the best option if you want your address bar to
> maintain the state of your application.

... or you can implement StateManager to change the URL on your ajax
call: http://exanimo.com/javascript/using-the-statemanag...

Best regards

Peter De Berdt