Forum: Ruby External function calls?

9dec3df8319c613f6f4f14a27da0fdb4?d=identicon&s=25 Kyle Schmitt (Guest)
Hey all,
           is there a generic way to make external function from ruby?
 I know I can write specific c code as a ruby module and use it, and I
know I can use that inline-c stuff, but what I want is a way to use
existing c or c++ libraries without having to write wrappers.  I know
in windows I can make winole objects and play with them, but what
about on linux/bsd/osx/whatever?

Thanks,
          Kyle
97550977337c9f0a0e1a9553e55bfaa0?d=identicon&s=25 Jan Svitok (Guest)
On 2/23/07, Kyle Schmitt <kyleaschmitt@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey all,
>            is there a generic way to make external function from ruby?
>  I know I can write specific c code as a ruby module and use it, and I
> know I can use that inline-c stuff, but what I want is a way to use
> existing c or c++ libraries without having to write wrappers.  I know
> in windows I can make winole objects and play with them, but what
> about on linux/bsd/osx/whatever?
>
> Thanks,
>           Kyle

try DL, it seems available on my Ubuntu.