Forum: Ruby fixrbconfig broken in 10.4.3

A3c73a768477c8f93dd48d9611376046?d=identicon&s=25 Rawn027 (Guest)
I get an error saying that ruby.h cannot be found please install dev
tools but i have dev tools installed and ruby.h is there when i use
locate. I have no idea how to fix this, did 10.4.3 fix the problems
previously there with 10.4's broken ruby? Can I compile my own and have
it work? Where can I go from here because I was told to use the ruby
howto on technoblog.
011737f94b61f527bd869eb54d735f57?d=identicon&s=25 hramrach (Guest)
On 11/21/05, Rawn027 <Rawn027@gmail.com> wrote:
> I get an error saying that ruby.h cannot be found please install dev
> tools but i have dev tools installed and ruby.h is there when i use
> locate. I have no idea how to fix this, did 10.4.3 fix the problems
> previously there with 10.4's broken ruby? Can I compile my own and have
> it work? Where can I go from here because I was told to use the ruby
> howto on technoblog.

Hello

You can install fink, and use the fink package of ruby. Since ruby
does need some tweaking to build on OS X you should probably try
installing some package management system (fink, darwinports,
gentoo,..) that provides a collection of patches that makes ruby work
(more or less) seamlessly on OS X.

hth

Michal

--
             Support the freedom of music!
Maybe it's a weird genre  ..  but weird is *not* illegal.
On 22 Nov 2005, at 13:50, Michal Suchanek wrote:

> You can install fink, and use the fink package of ruby. Since ruby
> does need some tweaking to build on OS X you should probably try
> installing some package management system (fink, darwinports,
> gentoo,..) that provides a collection of patches that makes ruby work
> (more or less) seamlessly on OS X.
>
> hth
>
> Michal

Ruby is trivial to install on OS X without using fink and friends.

Assuming you have downloaded it already, navigate to the folder
within a terminal window.
Type (as per the readme)
./configure
make
make test
sudo make install
     (this will prompt you for your password)

This will place a copy of ruby in /usr/local/bin.  Include this in
your path.  For csh edit your .cshrc file in your home directory and
add the line (or modify it):
set path = (/usr/local/bin  $path)

and either open a new terminal window or type rehash to make the new
path available.

I did just this a few days ago on 10.4.3 and it works like a charm.

Dave.
On 11/22/05, Dave Baldwin <dave.baldwin@3dlabs.com> wrote:
> >> howto on technoblog.
> >
> > Michal
>
> Ruby is trivial to install on OS X without using fink and friends.

What version did you use?
1.8.3 uses char ** environ which is not present on OS X (there is some
function instead).
Extensions are by default linked with -undefined suppress, which
happily installs extensions for which there are no suitable libaries
on the system.
It installs binary extensions into arch directory that includes the
darwin major and minor version number in tits name. At least the minor
is going to change as you install updates which will make the
extensions inacessible when you update the interpreter as well.

> Assuming you have downloaded it already, navigate to the folder
> within a terminal window.
> Type (as per the readme)
>
> ./configure
> make
> make test
> sudo make install

If this worked it would be nice :)

But it does not on 10.3.9, and it reportedly fails on 10.4.

Thanks

Michal

--
On 22 Nov 2005, at 16:52, Michal Suchanek wrote:

>>> work
>>> (more or less) seamlessly on OS X.
>>>
>>> hth
>>>
>>> Michal
>>
>> Ruby is trivial to install on OS X without using fink and friends.
>
> What version did you use?

dave 1% which ruby
/usr/local/bin/ruby
dave 2% ruby -v
ruby 1.8.3 (2005-09-21) [powerpc-darwin8.2.2]
dave 3%

OS X 10.4.3, build 8F46

I haven't noticed any problems.

Dave.
011737f94b61f527bd869eb54d735f57?d=identicon&s=25 hramrach (Guest)
On 11/22/05, Dave Baldwin <dave.baldwin@3dlabs.com> wrote:

> On 22 Nov 2005, at 16:52, Michal Suchanek wrote:
>
> > On 11/22/05, Dave Baldwin <dave.baldwin@3dlabs.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> On 22 Nov 2005, at 13:50, Michal Suchanek wrote:
> >>

> I haven't noticed any problems.

Now it works for me as well. Perhaps there was an update?
environ certainly used to be broken on OS X.

good to know.

Thanks

Michal