Re: How to find out object type

Got it. thanks!

----- Original Message ----
From: Harold H. [email protected]
To: ruby-talk ML [email protected]
Sent: Monday, February 19, 2007 9:09:47 PM
Subject: Re: How to find out object type

On 2/20/07, Phy P. [email protected] wrote:

irb(main):006:0>

I was hoping to be create an array from the numb stored as “o”, but this must be wrong,
because trying to get the class of the object does not work. Any help?

irb(main):001:0> o = 42
=> 42
irb(main):002:0> the_o_array = [o]
=> [42]
irb(main):003:0> the_o_array.class
=> Array

hth,
-Harold

On 2/20/07, Phy P. [email protected] wrote:

Got it. thanks!

I’m not sure you do.

On 2/20/07, Phy P. [email protected] wrote:

ah, thats better. So now for the real nubie question, I am lost as to why this does not work:

irb(main):001:0> o = 123
=> 123
irb(main):002:0> #{o} = Array.new

This won’t work. The “#{o}” notation only works in string
interpolation. Outside of strings (and string-like constructors like
Regexp literal notations), # acts as a comment. So both of your
examples were no-ops. Your understanding of Ruby’s syntax and
philosophy bit you here.

I think that you need to look around for comments about “duck typing”;
I’d look very closely at some of the tutorials available on the web
before you go much further.

-austin