Forum: Ruby on Rails Upgrading Rails Projects

11fa921a5cb20553ef5f2d5f45be4b2c?d=identicon&s=25 Eric (Guest)
I recently upgraded a rails 1.6 project to 1.2.2. I looked around
rubyonrails.org and the apis and didn't find any reference on how to
upgrade. I searched the web and found that "rake rails:update" should
be called so I tried that with no luck. I then started poking around
the project files and found the RAILS_GEM_VERSION property in
environment.rb and changed it to 1.2.2 and ran rake again which
appears to have worked.

Are these the proper steps to take when upgrading an existing Rails
project? Does anyone know where this is actually documented? I'm new
to rails and I'm assuming I overlooked some release notes or upgrade
guide that you typically find bundled with a release.

Eric
B09a3f6cdc4797532647d2d264b5df49?d=identicon&s=25 Jodi Showers (jshow)
On 19-Feb-07, at 10:54 PM, Eric wrote:

> project? Does anyone know where this is actually documented? I'm new
> to rails and I'm assuming I overlooked some release notes or upgrade
> guide that you typically find bundled with a release.
>
> Eric

documentation on this matters is weak - usually deprecation warnings
help a bunch - plus tests are your friend

upgrade (as per your notes above), then run your tests

cheers,
Jodi
11fa921a5cb20553ef5f2d5f45be4b2c?d=identicon&s=25 Eric (Guest)
I just added a HowtoUpgrade howto to
http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/Howtos.
If anyone knows a better approach please update the wiki.