Forum: Ruby on Rails Ruby/Rails user groups

0f7716186bac5a8a2dc8007b70928c06?d=identicon&s=25 Luke Ivers (technodolt)
on 2007-02-19 20:52
I've been thinking a lot lately about what I could give back to the Ruby
/ Rails community (communities?), and the idea I have now has grown out
of my own search for a user group and out of a desire to pave easier
roads for later newbies to follow.

I'm going to (attempt to) create a centralized Ruby / Rails user group
website, which will offer free resources to any user group which needs
it, and will at least attempt to catalogue all Ruby / Rails user groups
in existence, even if they don't actually use the resources of my
website.

This is a very young plan, which could be quickly dashed if I'm missing
something (a website that already does this), or if no one seems
interested.  Currently, I'm planning on offering search capabilities (so
you can find a group or groups near you), a group forum for each group,
mailing list capabilities (I have absolutely no clue how to implement
this, but assume that there are plenty of tools available to do the
job), an event calendar, and any other features that are requested or
required.

I am hoping, after the initial publication of the site, to be able to
spend the time necessary to add internationlization.  I am also hoping
to find a hosting company that will help sponsor the cost of hosting a
site that will start free, and remain free, but will require a lot of
space/bandwidth assuming it goes anywhere.

If anyone has any suggestions, comments, or feels the desire to pitch
in, I consistently monitor this group/mailing list/forum and am also
welcome to personal emails at technodolt :: at :: gmail :: dot :: com.

Please, please give me some feedback so I can know if I'm wasting my
time.
D4d28bd014f9e7324bad99dcc3b0d390?d=identicon&s=25 Rich Morin (Guest)
At 8:52 PM +0100 2/19/07, Luke Ivers wrote:
> I'm going to (attempt to) create a centralized Ruby / Rails user group
> website, which will offer free resources to any user group which needs
> it, and will at least attempt to catalogue all Ruby / Rails user groups
> in existence, even if they don't actually use the resources of my
> website.

+1

> If anyone has any suggestions, comments, or feels the desire to pitch
> in, I consistently monitor this group/mailing list/forum and am also
> welcome to personal emails at technodolt :: at :: gmail :: dot :: com.
>
> Please, please give me some feedback so I can know if I'm wasting my
> time.

Quite a few Ruby groups are listed on http://ruby.meetup.com/; there is
no separate category for Rails, but many of these concentrate on it.

I list several Ruby and Rails groups in

  SF Bay Area Scripting Groups
  http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/bass/groups.php

What would be very cool, IMHO, would be a way for folks to list their
locations (e.g., by zip code) and have the result be logged in Google
Maps.  I'd suggest two separate maps: one for individuals and the
other for groups.

FWIW, Jef Poskanzer's GeoRSS service makes this sort of thing quite
easy to prototype.  I put together a map of Apple Stores in the US:

> http://www.acme.com/GeoRSS/?xmlsrc=http://www.cfcl...
>
> I punted the overseas stores (whose information is actually
> hidden in the main page) because I had already spent more
> time on this than I wanted to...

-r
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/resume     rdm@cfcl.com

Db303dc84d03a992b33cd3ac978f89ae?d=identicon&s=25 Benjamin Curtis (Guest)
moment).

--
Building an e-commerce site with Rails?
http://www.agilewebdevelopment.com/rails-ecommerce

Meet up at RailsConf:
http://railsconf2007.conferencemeetup.com/
0f7716186bac5a8a2dc8007b70928c06?d=identicon&s=25 Luke Ivers (technodolt)
on 2007-02-20 16:14
> +1

Thank you

> Quite a few Ruby groups are listed on http://ruby.meetup.com/; there is
> no separate category for Rails, but many of these concentrate on it.

This is getting close to what I want to do, but I'd like to have
something specifically aimed at RoR (or just plain Ruby), on an RoR
platform.  Just seems like the right thing to do.

> What would be very cool, IMHO, would be a way for folks to list their
> locations (e.g., by zip code) and have the result be logged in Google
> Maps.  I'd suggest two separate maps: one for individuals and the
> other for groups.

Sounds like a cool feature... thanks for the suggestion.

> FWIW, Jef Poskanzer's GeoRSS service makes this sort of thing quite
> easy to prototype.  I put together a map of Apple Stores in the US:
>

>> http://www.acme.com/GeoRSS/?xmlsrc=http://www.cfcl...

I'll check that out.

Thanks :)
0f7716186bac5a8a2dc8007b70928c06?d=identicon&s=25 Luke Ivers (technodolt)
on 2007-02-20 16:17
Benjamin Curtis wrote:
> See also http://www.rubyholic.com/ (seems to be down for me at the
> moment).
>
> --
> Building an e-commerce site with Rails?
> http://www.agilewebdevelopment.com/rails-ecommerce
>
> Meet up at RailsConf:
> http://railsconf2007.conferencemeetup.com/

It seems as though there are a lot of these sites, that basically are
just collections of pointers to alread established things.  I'm hoping
to be able to offer free hosted content... instead of creating your own
website, you can just use ours... complete with forum, auto-created
mailing list (most likely via Google Groups), location-aware searches,
etc.

It seems like there are plenty of blogs in the Ruby/Rails arena, there
are lots of websites dedicated to how to use it, or to specific aspects
of it, but there doesn't seem to be a lot in the way of a truly
centralized community.  Maybe this will just flop horribly and no one
will sign up for it, but I'd like to at least give it a go.
D4d28bd014f9e7324bad99dcc3b0d390?d=identicon&s=25 Rich Morin (Guest)
> This is getting close to what I want to do, but I'd like to have
> something specifically aimed at RoR (or just plain Ruby), on an RoR
> platform.

Just to be clear, I was suggesting that you use the Meetup page as a
resource for building your own list.