Forum: Ruby on Rails Design and Deployment

A6623b3dc26b8c7b9ce68b590918cae7?d=identicon&s=25 joel.merrick@gmail.com (Guest)
Hi guys,

Looking for some advice if possible.. I basically want to create a
free dj mix site, whereby users can upload mixes, rate them, discuss
them etc.. but I have a few (ok, many) questions that I could do with
answering to help me on my way to rails zen!

Firstly is the way I can deploy the application. I would probably be
using Apache 2.2, mod_proxy_balancer and mongrel. Would there be any
way that large file uploads (of around 100mb) would cause problems
with this setup? I'm not au fait with the way that this works in
rails, as I'm still a complete newbie. What about memory filling
issues, buffers etc..

More questions will come (undoubtedly) but I thought I'd start off on
a simple(ish) one first.

Thanks!
Joel
On Feb 19, 2007, at 8:12 AM, joel.merrick@gmail.com wrote:

> Would there be any
> way that large file uploads (of around 100mb) would cause problems
> with this setup? I'm not au fait with the way that this works in
> rails, as I'm still a complete newbie. What about memory filling
> issues, buffers etc..

You should seriously consider using merb for large file uploads.

--
-- Tom Mornini, CTO
-- Engine Yard, Ruby on Rails Hosting
A6623b3dc26b8c7b9ce68b590918cae7?d=identicon&s=25 joel.merrick@gmail.com (Guest)

> You should seriously consider using merb for large file uploads.

Looks very interesting, I wasn't even aware smaller frameworks existed
in such a capacity. I will take a look at it.

Thanks!