Forum: Ruby on Rails SerializationTypeMismatch in Production Mode

E98de78bb42013c488fe8aa9d77d2cb1?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
In production mode, I keep getting this error the 2nd time it loads a
page with a serialized attribute:

ActiveRecord::SerializationTypeMismatch (answers_container was
supposed to be a Array, but was a NilClass):
    /vendor/rails/activerecord/lib/active_record/base.rb:1964:in
`unserialize_attribute'

In development, it works fine. In fact, if I set to false
config.cache_classes in production.rb, it works fine.

The first time you hit the page, it works fine. Upon refresh, it
returns that error.

This happens with both webbrick and litespeed.

The controller code is:

def new
    store_location
    if request.env["HTTP_REFERER"]
      params[:my_id] = "survey" if
request.env["HTTP_REFERER"].include? "survey"
    end
    @question = Question.new
    @question.answers_container = Array.new(2, "")
    @question.creator_message = current_user[:note] if logged_in?
  end

In my model, I define the serialized attribute as such:
serialize :answers_container, Array

I was running rails 1.2, then upgraded to 1.2.2 after seeing I have
this problem. I believe when I was running 1.1.6 I did not have this
problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Steve
niblets.wordpress.com
7eb8dd853f87b15352a3b86d37f48ec6?d=identicon&s=25 Carl Lerche (Guest)
What databases are you using (mysql? postgres?, ...) ? Are they
different in development and production?

-carl

--
EPA Rating: 3000 Lines of Code / Gallon (of coffee)
E98de78bb42013c488fe8aa9d77d2cb1?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)