Forum: Ruby on Rails Switching servers, banging head

7bf37697edd246a8cbe32ee05d89a7f3?d=identicon&s=25 Joe (Guest)
I've switched operating system before, linux to mac, etc. I've had
problems, but been able to resolve them in the past.

I'm seeing (after seeing this error in the apache logs w/fcgi)

$ sudo rake bootstrap
(in /var/www/rails/pophookDevel)
Skipping integrity check. You have no system roles set up; once your
database tables are set up, run rake bootstrap to create the basic
rake aborted!
uninitialized constant Permission

Why do I have to run bootstrap? I've ported over the db and the code
from a server that is working. Where is it looking that it thinks I'm
installing for the first time?

Things I've checked:

*permissions on tmp,log and public, recursive
*gem version in environment
*verified the new db is accessible, able to write/read with a new
rails dir
*dispatch.fcgi is being used
*I'm in development mode
*engines_debug.log doesn't indicate anything, or any other log file,
except the error message above.
*I'm using versions
rails 1.2.2
ruby 1.8.5
CentOs 4.4 (don't think it matters)

It looks to me like the models aren't getting loaded from the plugin
directory, but this is where I fall short.

B09a3f6cdc4797532647d2d264b5df49?d=identicon&s=25 Jodi Showers (jshow)
On 18-Feb-07, at 2:09 PM, Joe wrote:

> roles.
> rake aborted!
> uninitialized constant Permission

try a --trace with rake - may give you more info.

note, if  you're running 1.2 and engines, login_engine user_engine
and others won't work

7bf37697edd246a8cbe32ee05d89a7f3?d=identicon&s=25 Joe (Guest)
Well, that stinks. What are people using for authentication these
days? I see Hark is somewhat of a dead horse. acts_as_authenticated?

This is pretty lame. Authentication is a fundamental component, I
would even argue it should be part of the core code. I think there
should be a stronger commitment to a default authentication module.

I'm going to have to let my panic subside before I can come up with a

B09a3f6cdc4797532647d2d264b5df49?d=identicon&s=25 Jodi Showers (jshow)
for this reason I've freezed my rails apps at 1.16 that are using

And using Rick's resful_authtentication with new projects.

note: you must be using pre 1.2 previously - so why not freeze to
that for this project (until a workaround can be found)?

General Partner
The nNovation Group inc.
140c065a9604b5321768cbe02e91ef30?d=identicon&s=25 Anton Aylward (Guest)
Joe said the following on 02/18/2007 02:09 PM:
> $ sudo rake bootstrap
> (in /var/www/rails/pophookDevel)
> Skipping integrity check. You have no system roles set up; once your
> database tables are set up, run rake bootstrap to create the basic
> roles.
> rake aborted!
> uninitialized constant Permission

I don't know about the bootstrap, but I do know about that rake error.

If you have a migrate file such as

but which says

   class NewWebs < ActiveRecord::Migration

you will get

    uninitialized constant CreatePages

I don't know if this is documented anywhere.

As for the bootstrap ... well, _perhaps_ it would be doing things like
creating the tables and initializing them, but is written so that its
smart enough to check.  (Perhaps. take a look at the code.)   Some
don't do this and the README files omit to tell you to do that.  I got
bitten by both of these this last week.

Beyond this ... Dunno.

The whole art of teaching is only the art of awakening the natural
of young minds for the purpose of satisfying it afterwards.
    Anatole France (1844 - 1924), The Crime of Sylvestre Bonnard

"Key escrow to rule them all; key escrow to find them.
Key escrow to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
In the land of surveillance where Big Brother lies."
   -- Peter Gutmann
7bf37697edd246a8cbe32ee05d89a7f3?d=identicon&s=25 Joe (Guest)
Ok, I just upgraded our old server to 1.2.2, and it's working fine.
It's got to be some environment issue where something isn't getting
loaded correctly.

I checked the migration files, no problem there.

I'm probably going to look at Jodi's suggestion, and see how backward
compatible it is. We can just shut one server down and create a
subdomain to access it in order to test a few things out.

This feels a bit odd to me. It sort of feels like a fundamental
instruction code for a microprocessor suddenly disappeared.