Forum: Ruby on Rails consensus: javascript forms, good or bad?

18d8b0c948dd7b3d39c9667cfd4e817c?d=identicon&s=25 Andrew Stone (astone)
Is the practice of using javascript forms for adding data a good idea?
don't think they are because of error handling, but I'm not an expert at
using ajax. I've only used it moderation for some usability
improvements.

thanks for any input,
andy

--
Andrew Stone
Andrew Stone wrote:

> Is the practice of using javascript forms for adding data a good idea?  I
> don't think they are because of error handling, but I'm not an expert at
> using ajax. I've only used it moderation for some usability improvements.

On the open internet?

Or in an Enterprise situation, where everyone has the exact same
Starfleet
Web Browser?

--
  Phlip
18d8b0c948dd7b3d39c9667cfd4e817c?d=identicon&s=25 Andrew Stone (astone)

> On the open internet?
>
> Or in an Enterprise situation, where everyone has the exact same Starfleet
> Web Browser?

Should be considered an "open internet" situation.

--
Andrew Stone
Andrew Stone wrote:

> Should be considered an "open internet" situation.

Bad; the site should degrade gracefully. If Lynx can't get to it, then
you
will have advocates for disabled people advocating at you.

--
  Phlip
18d8b0c948dd7b3d39c9667cfd4e817c?d=identicon&s=25 Andrew Stone (astone)

> Bad; the site should degrade gracefully. If Lynx can't get to it, then you
> will have advocates for disabled people advocating at you.

That is a good point and I agree.  Any other functionality issues you
know
of?  Reason I ask is that it will be an internal app, but for quite a
few
people.  I don't like to code to a browser and forcing that restriction
is
not something I will do.

Thanks for input!

-andy