Forum: Ruby on Rails book about rails internals

A2c85dc5ee81b12e3cc0a6522e8d079d?d=identicon&s=25 Chris Hall (au5lander)
Are there any books currently available that discuss topics related
more about the Rails core code than on how to 'use' Rails?
7223c62b7310e164eb79c740188abbda?d=identicon&s=25 Xavier Noria (Guest)
On Feb 17, 2007, at 2:41 PM, Chris Hall wrote:

> Are there any books currently available that discuss topics related
> more about the Rails core code than on how to 'use' Rails?

None as of today. People do submit proposals to write about that
topic, including me myself. It is a very interesting topic that in my
opinion would interest most Rails developers. Since we are a notably
curious community (my appreciation). I hope some book will be
eventually published.

-- fxn
8acba6d057b3f0c2c16cca95ad36881b?d=identicon&s=25 Bakki Kudva (bakki)
David Black's book "Ruby for Rails" has a chapter called 'Techniques
for exploring the Rails source code' which is the closest thing I've
come across to what you are asking for. It is a very short chapter of
only 15 pages unfortunately and so there is not a lot of hand holding
through the code.

-bakki
A2c85dc5ee81b12e3cc0a6522e8d079d?d=identicon&s=25 Chris Hall (au5lander)
Yeah, I have that book and have read the chapter.  Thanks for the input
tho.

Chris
Hi~

On Feb 17, 2007, at 12:32 PM, Chris Hall wrote:

>> come across to what you are asking for. It is a very short chapter of
>> only 15 pages unfortunately and so there is not a lot of hand holding
>> through the code.
>>
>> -bakki
>>
>> On 2/17/07, Chris Hall <christopher.k.hall@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Are there any books currently available that discuss topics related
>>> more about the Rails core code than on how to 'use' Rails?

  I just gave a talk entitled "Exploring the Request/Response
Lifecycle through the Mongrel and Rails Source Code" I posted the
slides online here:

http://brainspl.at/articles/2007/02/15/exploring-t...
lifecycle-through-the-mongrel-and-rails-source-code

  It's not as good without audio but it  takes a tour through the
rails source from the perspective of a request response cycle.

Cheers-
-- Ezra Zygmuntowicz
-- Lead Rails Evangelist
-- ez@engineyard.com
-- Engine Yard, Serious Rails Hosting
-- (866) 518-YARD (9273)
7eb8dd853f87b15352a3b86d37f48ec6?d=identicon&s=25 Carl Lerche (Guest)
I think the best thing to do is to actually go through the code!

Books are good to get started with something (like, learn the basics
of rails), but after a certain point, you just gotta roll up your
sleeves and dig in.

-carl

--
EPA Rating: 3000 Lines of Code / Gallon (of coffee)