Forum: Ruby Pipes and STDERR

James S. (Guest)
on 2007-02-16 12:39
Hello everyone,

I would like to be able to assign my pipe to a variable, whilst still
being able to capture STDERR; i'm sure this is possible but can't think
how to do it..

This is the code for the pipe:

@pipe = IO.popen("ruby userFile/file.rb", "r+")

I am on windows and have tried to use the systemu library to no avail..

any ideas?
Robert K. (Guest)
On 16.02.2007 11:39, James S. wrote:
> I would like to be able to assign my pipe to a variable, whilst still
> being able to capture STDERR; i'm sure this is possible but can't think
> how to do it..

What exactly do you mean?  Why is the pipe and stderr related?  Are you
talking about stderr of the Ruby process or of some child process?

Regards

  robert
James S. (Guest)
on 2007-02-16 17:29

> What exactly do you mean?  Why is the pipe and stderr related?  Are you
> talking about stderr of the Ruby process or of some child process?

Sorry, not very well explained.. i need to capture stderr of the ruby
process and write it into the pipe
Robert K. (Guest)
On 16.02.2007 16:29, James S. wrote:
>> What exactly do you mean?  Why is the pipe and stderr related?  Are you
>> talking about stderr of the Ruby process or of some child process?
>
> Sorry, not very well explained.. i need to capture stderr of the ruby
> process and write it into the pipe

Ah!  Then I'd try this:

STDERR.reopen(pipe)

http://www.ruby-doc.org/core/classes/IO.html#M002301