Forum: Ruby on Rails Windows Vista & Ruby on Rails

F0dd48b0d65fb23e2a3a4d22bde87705?d=identicon&s=25 Matt Stone (Guest)

I've just been given a copy of Windows Vista Home Premium Edition.

I just though I'd ask is anyone has a working Ruby on Rails installation
on Vista?

rgds.
- matt.
C004d67820a114e24ccf6f2ddaf5b236?d=identicon&s=25 Richard Livsey (Guest)
I installed Vista Business edition on my home PC a couple of weekends
and
have it running Rails without any issues.

hth.
767179931692eaae5d20df9dfe44ec56?d=identicon&s=25 Huw Collingbourne (Guest)
on 2007-02-16 11:38
Our Ruby/Rails IDE (Ruby In Steel Developer) runs on Vista. We had to
make a few tweaks to make it compatible but the current version works
with Rails just fine.

best wishes
Huw
http://www.sapphiresteel.com
F0dd48b0d65fb23e2a3a4d22bde87705?d=identicon&s=25 Matt Stone (Guest)
on 2007-02-16 13:45
Thanks for the replies.

For those interested..

I have just discovered that you cannot upgrade from XP Pro to Vista Home
Premium Edition, you need to do a fresh install. I am sure that there is
really, really, good reason for this.. but I can upgrade from Home
Ultimate or the Business version, so it clearly can be done. I think its
because several features available in XP Pro are not available in Home
Premium - such as the really handy remote desktop.

Ah well.. I am asking myself if I now tool around with vista again &
waste more of life on configuring windows, or do I just bite the bullet
& get a mac?

rgds,
- matt.

Huw Collingbourne wrote:
> Our Ruby/Rails IDE (Ruby In Steel Developer) runs on Vista. We had to
> make a few tweaks to make it compatible but the current version works
> with Rails just fine.
>
> best wishes
> Huw
> http://www.sapphiresteel.com
B14575f0ca69f10938fdd67e7156e0e1?d=identicon&s=25 Craig Demyanovich (Guest)
On Feb 16, 2007, at 7:45 AM, Matt Stone wrote:

> Ah well.. I am asking myself if I now tool around with vista again &
> waste more of life on configuring windows, or do I just bite the
> bullet
> & get a mac?

Get a Mac. You can still run Windows if you really, really need to:

http://www.parallels.com/en/products/desktop/

http://www.vmware.com/products/beta/fusion/

http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

Regards,