Forum: GNU Radio Bypassing daughtercards

E8d783828081d7bdeaa760702a559a28?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
I am currently working with GNU radio and USRP board with its
transceiver daughtercards for transmitting and receiving signals.  I
have recently aqcuired new RF front end hardware that can mix a baseband
signal up to 3.4 GHz and transmit it.  The interface to the new RF
hardware is thru BNC cables.  I want to know if there is a way that I
can do all the processing in GNU radio, send the data through the usrp
board to and the transmit DAC's, and then send the I and Q channels from
the DAC to the new RF front end hardware.  For example, are there pins
on the USRP board (or daughtercards) that I can pull the I/Q data off of
to send to the new hardware?

Thanks
Nick
79723aa1b24981dcec2dbf7fd59403c1?d=identicon&s=25 Brian Padalino (Guest)
On 2/15/07, njm25@drexel.edu <njm25@drexel.edu> wrote:
> I am currently working with GNU radio and USRP board with its transceiver daughtercards
for transmitting and receiving signals.  I have recently aqcuired new RF front end
hardware that can mix a baseband signal up to 3.4 GHz and transmit it.  The interface to
the new RF hardware is thru BNC cables.  I want to know if there is a way that I can do
all the processing in GNU radio, send the data through the usrp board to and the transmit
DAC's, and then send the I and Q channels from the DAC to the new RF front end hardware.
For example, are there pins on the USRP board (or daughtercards) that I can pull the I/Q
data off of to send to the new hardware?

> Thanks
> Nick

You can pick up the baseband differential analog signals of I/Q from
the daugherboard header.  I believe the dboard.sch in the usrp-hw
module under SVN would be helpful.

http://gnuradio.org/trac/browser/usrp-hw/trunk/usrp

Brian
njm25@drexel.edu wrote:
> I am currently working with GNU radio and USRP board with its transceiver daughtercards
for transmitting and receiving signals.  I have recently aqcuired new RF front end
hardware that can mix a baseband signal up to 3.4 GHz and transmit it.  The interface to
the new RF hardware is thru BNC cables.  I want to know if there is a way that I can do
all the processing in GNU radio, send the data through the usrp board to and the transmit
DAC's, and then send the I and Q channels from the DAC to the new RF front end hardware.
For example, are there pins on the USRP board (or daughtercards) that I can pull the I/Q
data off of to send to the new hardware?

The correct way to do this is to use the BasicTX, which was designed
specifically for this.  It has 2 SMA outputs, one for I and one for Q.

Matt