Forum: Ruby on Rails Which Search plugin?

66f8deb95f8174885c85592e8c86377c?d=identicon&s=25 Keith Davey (Guest)

I am getting ready to add searching to the property model of a real
estate
site I am working on and was looking for advice on
which search plugin to use.

I came to Rails to escape Java and I really don't want to run a Java
Server
which as far as I know rules out Acts as Solr.

So it looks like a choice between Soda Search and acts as ferret. How
well
will these two handle normalized VS  non-normalized
data. Like if I am using relations with other objects like has_many etc
will
these search plugins index the items owned by
my model as well.

Thanks,

Keith
70225136eacd3d870f64e03bff678655?d=identicon&s=25 Russell Norris (Guest)
Acts as Ferret works wonderfully for me. YMMV.

But I doubt it. ;)

RSL
17a97e09a1b23bc733ae22880a961b59?d=identicon&s=25 nick (Guest)
on 2007-02-17 20:42
Russell Norris wrote:
> Acts as Ferret works wonderfully for me. YMMV.
>
> But I doubt it. ;)
>
> RSL

is acts as ferret a good search plugin to use with a big site with a lot
of people and a lot of searches and inserts ?
70225136eacd3d870f64e03bff678655?d=identicon&s=25 Russell Norris (Guest)
Ferret's based on Lucene [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucene] so I'm
pretty
sure it's solid.

RSL
7eb8dd853f87b15352a3b86d37f48ec6?d=identicon&s=25 Carl Lerche (Guest)
Ferret has seg faulted a number of times for me taking down my mongrel
processes in a flaming ball of fire. I have monit checking my
processes, so they get restarted, but for some reason it can take up
to 10 minutes.

I'm currently in the process of switching all my acts_as_ferret to
tsearch2.

-carl

--
EPA Rating: 3000 Lines of Code / Gallon (of coffee)
I've seen problems in peoples app from ferret as the index gets

  HyperEstraier,  and Sphinx have held up better with bigger indexes
then ferret for the apps I've seen.

  I did hear that they are working on a drb daemon that will be the
only thing to write to the ferret index with your app talking to it
over drb, this may fix the locking and index corruption issues but i
haven't seen it in the wild yet.

-Ezra

On Feb 17, 2007, at 1:51 PM, Carl Lerche wrote:

>>> Russell Norris wrote:
>>> --
>
> --
> EPA Rating: 3000 Lines of Code / Gallon (of coffee)

-- Ezra Zygmuntowicz
-- Lead Rails Evangelist
-- ez@engineyard.com
-- Engine Yard, Serious Rails Hosting
-- (866) 518-YARD (9273)
Cbff7ea94c9b2c4d5f7cfefd25be9ae2?d=identicon&s=25 Just Someone (Guest)
tsearch2 "problem" is that it is Postgres specific. Not a problem for
me as I use ONLY Postgres. But if the app is MySQL based you are out
of luck.

But tsearch2 has a huge advantage over Ferret - it has lexical
capabilities. This meand that searching for plurals or otherwise
modified workd, will find them and the related words. FOr example,
searching for rabit or searching for rabbits, will both bring all docs
with rabbit or rabbits. This is a VERY cool feature, and it's language
specific. There are dictionaries for stop-words for many many
languages.

On 2/17/07, Carl Lerche <carl.lerche@gmail.com> wrote:

> EPA Rating: 3000 Lines of Code / Gallon (of coffee)

--
Family management on rails: http://www.famundo.com
My development related blog: http://devblog.famundo.com

-carl

On 2/17/07, Just Someone <just.some@gmail.com> wrote:
> specific. There are dictionaries for stop-words for many many
> > I'm currently in the process of switching all my acts_as_ferret to tsearch2.

> Family management on rails: http://www.famundo.com
> My development related blog: http://devblog.famundo.com

--
EPA Rating: 3000 Lines of Code / Gallon (of coffee)
17a97e09a1b23bc733ae22880a961b59?d=identicon&s=25 nick (Guest)
on 2007-02-18 00:54
Just Someone wrote:
> tsearch2 "problem" is that it is Postgres specific. Not a problem for
> me as I use ONLY Postgres. But if the app is MySQL based you are out
> of luck.
>
> But tsearch2 has a huge advantage over Ferret - it has lexical
> capabilities. This meand that searching for plurals or otherwise
> modified workd, will find them and the related words. FOr example,
> searching for rabit or searching for rabbits, will both bring all docs
> with rabbit or rabbits. This is a VERY cool feature, and it's language
> specific. There are dictionaries for stop-words for many many
> languages.

i use postgres too, so is better use tsearch2 than ferret? (with a
really big database)
7eb8dd853f87b15352a3b86d37f48ec6?d=identicon&s=25 Carl Lerche (Guest)
> i use postgres too, so is better use tsearch2 than ferret? (with a
> really big database)

It depends on your requirements.

> --

EPA Rating: 3000 Lines of Code / Gallon (of coffee)
17a97e09a1b23bc733ae22880a961b59?d=identicon&s=25 nick (Guest)
on 2007-02-18 01:31
Carl Lerche wrote:

> It depends on your requirements.

just find something in a lot of data faster as possible and without
problem if there are insert in the same moment :-)
9dfe8c734b0f9b37a4e218425c0a2138?d=identicon&s=25 gene.tani@gmail.com (Guest)
On Feb 14, 1:37 am, "Keith Davey" <keith.da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> will these two handle normalized VS  non-normalized
> data. Like if I am using relations with other objects like has_many etc will
> these search plugins index the items owned by
> my model as well.

Here's a couple i thought were helpful, touch on the major issues:
sorting vs searching, stemming/tokenization, stopwords, UTF-8 (i
think), tf/idf calculations

http://agnessa.railsplayground.com/ferret.pdf

http://mojodna.net/searchable/ruby/railsconf.pdf