Forum: Ruby on Rails RESTless over RESTful routes

8310c5a7c769345114597bcdef111488?d=identicon&s=25 Ben Munat (Guest)
RESTful routes are making me a sad panda.

I'm using rails 1.2.1 and have an event controller with create, update,
show, etc. I also have my resources mapped in routes.rb:

map.resources :events

I thought that the RESTful url for updating an event should be:

But I keep getting a 404 for that. On the other hand, if I post to:

it works just fine.

Note that I still have the default routes at the bottom of my routes.rb:

# Install the default route as the lowest priority.
map.connect ':controller/:action/:id.:format'
map.connect ':controller/:action/:id'

But if I take that out then neither the /events/id nor the
/events/update/id versions work.

We're not supposed to use the /controller/action type urls with REST
right? Does anyone know why map.resources isn't working correctly or
what I can do to debug it?

C4dc94c893471878a105761a9207f29b?d=identicon&s=25 Zack Chandler (Guest)
On 2/13/07, Ben Munat <> wrote:
> /events/1.xml
> map.connect ':controller/:action/:id.:format'
> Ben

The update route generated by map.resources will be events/:id (ex:
events/1) using HTTP PUT, not /events/1.xml.

I recently put together an example app to help people learn REST.  You
can use it as an example if it helps...

Blog post:

Zack Chandler
Zack Chandler wrote:
> Code:
> Blog post:

Hey Zack, yeah it turned out that I was using the wrong curl option...
it's -T to do a PUT... I was still using -d, which was doing a POST.
With the -T, it works like a champ... well, after I commented out the
verify method stuff that the generator put in there anyway.

I wasn't completely lost, however... I saw that it was doing a post and
had tried to figure out how to add the _method=PUT param. Forgot to
mention that... And actually, I thought doing the .xml encouraged rails
to intervene and considered the POST a PUT. Sigh. So much to learn.

Thanks for the links... will definitely check them out.

15c80c9bf8be5ba6e5eeac9cb0304464?d=identicon&s=25 Ed Hickey (Guest)
this bash script might help:
i wrote it to help me test my REST apps - might prove useful.