Forum: Ruby NEWBIE: What is the dos-box for and why is it there?

Dd54667d923aa8dc48740a6fbd3da729?d=identicon&s=25 Noble Bell (noble)
on 2007-02-13 22:51
I am very new to Ruby. In fact I just downloaded it and started looking
at it today. I am using Windows.

Here is my question:

I loaded the program "fxri" and upon starting I got a screen full of
warning messages in a ms-dos box. Then a new window was opened with the
running program.

Do all Windows Ruby programs operate like this? I mean is there a
dos-box and also a regular Window for each program?

I am lost and any help would be appreciated here.

What I want to do is write GUI desktop applications in Ruby that are
platform-independent but yet have a native look and feel of the
underlying OS. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance and God bless,
962613f3d9e4306aada868261feb3cf1?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
On Feb 13, 1:51 pm, Noble Bell <> wrote:
> dos-box and also a regular Window for each program?
> --

You can search this group for detailed answers to your question. In a
nutshell, the ruby program is launched into a command shell when run
via ruby.exe.  This shell is where you'll see your stdout and from
which your program can read from stdin, if desired.  If you want to
run a ruby program without it being "encapsulated" in a command shell
run it with "rubyw.exe".