Forum: Ruby OS X RubyGems installation question

1a68eac5447062647abc434a9391a2d6?d=identicon&s=25 Jonathan Waddilove (waddilove)
on 2007-02-13 17:37
Hi,  I am just migrating from one OS X system to a new MBP :-)

I'm trying the rubygem installation process, but when I run:
     sudo ruby setup.rb
from rubygems-0.9.2  I get:

  setup.rb:52:in `require': no such file to load -- rbconfig (LoadError)
from setup.rb:52

There are no ruby options set in ENV, and the Ruby configuration is as
built by the OS X installation.

One additional factor, I choose to use the Apple Migration assistant. It
worked like a charm bringing everything across in the users directories
- including hidden items. I'm wondering if this is part of the problem.

I'm hoping some kind person will point out the error of my ways.  Many
thanks

Jonathan
B09f99b655b96fd4130aafd04531f6f1?d=identicon&s=25 Eric I. (Guest)
I've never tried intalling updated Ruby versions or RubyGems *over*
the OS X install.  Perhaps you should consider what I think is a
cleaner solution -- DarwinPorts (http://darwinports.opendarwin.org/).

Once you install DarwinPorts you can then install other software
(e.g., Ruby 1.8.5 very easily.  And then you can install RubyGems.
Everything goes into /opt/local, thereby keeping your standard OS X
install "clean".

Then it's just a matter of adjusting your PATH so it picks the ruby,
irb, etc. out of /opt/local/bin.

Eric

====

Are you interested in on-site Ruby training that's been highly
reviewed by former students?  http://LearnRuby.com
On Feb 13, 2007, at 08:37, Jonathan Waddilove wrote:

> Hi,  I am just migrating from one OS X system to a new MBP :-)
>
> I'm trying the rubygem installation process, but when I run:
>      sudo ruby setup.rb
> from rubygems-0.9.2  I get:
>
>   setup.rb:52:in `require': no such file to load -- rbconfig
> (LoadError)
> from setup.rb:52

rbconfig is located in /path/to/ruby/lib/1.8/<platform>/

where is your ruby installed?

> There are no ruby options set in ENV, and the Ruby configuration is as
> built by the OS X installation.
>
> One additional factor, I choose to use the Apple Migration
> assistant. It
> worked like a charm bringing everything across in the users
> directories
> - including hidden items. I'm wondering if this is part of the
> problem.

Possibly it missed something.
1a68eac5447062647abc434a9391a2d6?d=identicon&s=25 Jonathan Waddilove (waddilove)
on 2007-02-13 20:06
Eric,

Thank you very much for the suggestions. I tried the Darwin Ports
approach but it failed to install Ruby. So I followed the HiveLogoc
instructions to install Ruby and then Ruby GEM and I'm now running OK.

I hope all of this will go away when Leopard ships and we can enjoy a
pre-installed Ruby GEM environment.

Many thanks,  Jonathan
Acab5b1a0962b806357d79743be7c34b?d=identicon&s=25 Helge Stahlmann (Guest)
Am 13.02.2007 um 20:06 schrieb Jonathan Waddilove:

> I hope all of this will go away when Leopard ships and we can enjoy a
> pre-installed Ruby GEM environment.
>
> Many thanks,  Jonathan
>
> --

Jonathan,

Did you checkout Locomotive (http://locomotive.raaum.org/bundles/
index.html)? It's a nice package that comes with a very complete set
of standard bundles including rubygems.

Helge