Forum: Ruby ActiveRecord::Extensions Question

94cc3e46cfc5bc361e409e2e884ecfa4?d=identicon&s=25 Drew Olson (dfg59)
on 2007-02-12 19:42
After a discussion of using ActiveRecord for data validation, it became
apparent to me (and others) that ActiveRecord was missing the ability to
iterate over a large set of records without storing the entire set in
memory. Someone in the thread mentioned that ActiveRecord Extensions may
have this ability. Essentially, I want to do a Table.find(:all).each,
however there are quite a lot of records and I'd like to iterate across
them without storing the entire dataset locally (something like a
cursor). Does ActiveRecord::Extensions have this ability? I've looked at
the documentation (what little I could find) and didn't see anything
like this.

-Drew
24d2f8804e6bb4b7ea6bd11e0a586470?d=identicon&s=25 Jeremy Kemper (Guest)
On 2/12/07, Drew Olson <olsonas@gmail.com> wrote:
> like this.
Try ActiveRecord::Enumerable by Michael Schuerig:
  http://schuerig.de/michael/blog/index.php/2007/02/...

It uses a 'paged' find under the covers rather than cursors.

jeremy
94cc3e46cfc5bc361e409e2e884ecfa4?d=identicon&s=25 Drew Olson (dfg59)
on 2007-02-12 22:34
Jeremy Kemper wrote:
> On 2/12/07, Drew Olson <olsonas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> like this.
> Try ActiveRecord::Enumerable by Michael Schuerig:
>   http://schuerig.de/michael/blog/index.php/2007/02/...
>
> It uses a 'paged' find under the covers rather than cursors.
>
> jeremy

Jeremy -

Thanks so much for the response. This seems to be almost exactly what I
was looking for. I will download later today and mess around with it.

-Drew
94cc3e46cfc5bc361e409e2e884ecfa4?d=identicon&s=25 Drew Olson (dfg59)
on 2007-02-12 22:55
Jeremy Kemper wrote:
> On 2/12/07, Drew Olson <olsonas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> like this.
> Try ActiveRecord::Enumerable by Michael Schuerig:
>   http://schuerig.de/michael/blog/index.php/2007/02/...
>
> It uses a 'paged' find under the covers rather than cursors.
>
> jeremy

Follow up question: is there a way to install these "plug-ins" without
using the rails framework? I am using ActiveRecord for standalone data
validation and hence I can't do a script/plugin install ...

Thanks,
Drew