Forum: Ruby Firebrigade + hoe?

Fc784eadb3b54531fdc3d2053db6f83f?d=identicon&s=25 Mat Schaffer (Guest)
I used newgem to create my 'sparehand' gem.  The rakefile now depends
on Hoe, but it also looks like newgem creates a Rakefile such that hoe
can't be a dependency.

I tried adding 'hoe' as a dependency with no luck.

Think someone could offer a little advice?  It would make me really
happy to see 'Passed' next to my gem :)

The rakefile is available here:
http://rubyforge.org/viewvc/sparehand/trunk/Rakefi...

Thanks in advance,
Mat
7f891fbe8e3bae7f9fe375407ce90d9d?d=identicon&s=25 Harold Hausman (Guest)
On 2/11/07, Mat Schaffer <schapht@gmail.com> wrote:
> I used newgem to create my 'sparehand' gem.  The rakefile now depends
> on Hoe, <snip...>

here is the (somewhat long) discussion that went on on this topic
recently:
http://rubyurl.com/fm5

And here is one solution:
http://blog.evanweaver.com/articles/2007/01/10/if-...

hth,
-Harold
96931bfe0c2948f47a98e15ae52e5637?d=identicon&s=25 Chris Carter (cdcarter)
On 2/10/07, Mat Schaffer <schapht@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://rubyforge.org/viewvc/sparehand/trunk/Rakefi...
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Mat

Hi Mat,
Hoe automatically injects itself as a dependency.
On 2/11/07, Chris Carter <cdcarter@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Mat,
> Hoe automatically injects itself as a dependency.

In the 'newgem' case it doesn't.  Thanks, Harold, for that blog entry.
 That summed it all up.  newgem inserts a couple of lines in the
Rakefile that avoid the hoe dependency, but it still requires hoe
without a rescue block, which causes problems if you don't have hoe
and try to test the package.

The solutions I found for firebrigade testing were twofold.
1. Add a test/test_all.rb file that includes all the *_test.rb files.
This allows 'testrb test' to actually run the test cases.
2. Put a begin..rescue LoadError..end block around the hoe portions of
the rake file. and include a test task that runs test_all.rb in the
rescue block.

Based off of tinderbox_gem_build, I think this will work.  We'll see
in a little while when firebrigade proper lights up my gem.

Thanks for the help folks.  I oughta start a professional blog so I
can blog about this stuff :)
-Mat
Fc784eadb3b54531fdc3d2053db6f83f?d=identicon&s=25 Mat Schaffer (Guest)
On 2/11/07, Mat Schaffer <schapht@gmail.com> wrote:
> Based off of tinderbox_gem_build, I think this will work.  We'll see
> in a little while when firebrigade proper lights up my gem.

w00t!  http://firebrigade.seattlerb.org/gem/show/sparehand

Thanks for the help everyone!
-Mat