Forum: Ruby Ruby Tk: how to make something happen periodically?

17dfc4dad469d0cabbda01fb4fe84d69?d=identicon&s=25 S P Arif Sahari Wibowo (Guest)
Hi!

In Ruby Tk, how to make something happen periodically, while the user
does not touch the button, menu, etc.?

Thanks!
F3b02532d4cb4855881935c002389213?d=identicon&s=25 Morton Goldberg (Guest)
On Feb 10, 2007, at 2:30 AM, S P Arif Sahari Wibowo wrote:

> In Ruby Tk, how to make something happen periodically, while the user
> does not touch the button, menu, etc.?

Go to <http://rubykitchensink.ca/> and search on "tktimer".

Regards, Morton
On Feb 10, 2007, at 2:51 AM, Morton Goldberg wrote:

> On Feb 10, 2007, at 2:30 AM, S P Arif Sahari Wibowo wrote:
>
>> In Ruby Tk, how to make something happen periodically, while the user
>> does not touch the button, menu, etc.?
>
> Go to <http://rubykitchensink.ca/> and search on "tktimer".

Let me recant on that. It's better to go to Google and search "ruby
+tktimer". This finds a lot more stuff. I also recommend the
following link

    http://www.ruby-lang.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/ruby/e...

There you will find links to tktimer.rb, tktimer2.rb, and tktimer3.rb
-- these are examples of the use of the TkTimer class. It's also
possible that you might find

    http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/rubytk_en/

and

useful.

Regards, Morton
On Feb 10, 3:22 am, Morton Goldberg <m_goldb...@ameritech.net> wrote:
> > Go to <http://rubykitchensink.ca/> and search on "tktimer".
>
> Let me recant on that. It's better to go to Google and search "ruby
> +tktimer". This finds a lot more stuff. I also recommend the
> following link
>    http://www.ruby-lang.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/ruby/e...

Works like a charm, once I know the keyword, things went smoothly.
Thanks!

That said, do you know about proc in the arguments for TkTimer's start
method / parameter, where its result goes?

On Feb 17, 2007, at 6:20 PM, S P Arif Sahari Wibowo wrote:

> That said, do you know about proc in the arguments for TkTimer's start
> method / parameter, where its result goes?

No, I'm sorry, but I don't know where the result of a block passed to
TkTimer#start goes. In my own work, I have always written these
blocks for their effects, not their results. IMO you shouldn't rely
on the results such blocks. Remember: "effect" can include
modifications to the state of objects visible within your own code.

Regards, Morton
E4f967492dbd03c526cc9b397e68021d?d=identicon&s=25 Hidetoshi NAGAI (Guest)
From: "S P Arif Sahari Wibowo" <arifsaha@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Ruby Tk: how to make something happen periodically?
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 08:20:11 +0900
> That said, do you know about proc in the arguments for TkTimer's start
> method / parameter, where its result goes?

Please try this.
TkTimer.new(100, 2, proc{|tm|
               p [:body, tm.class, tm.current_args, tm.return_value]
               tm.return_value + 1
            }).start(500, proc{|tm|
                        p [:init, tm.class, tm.current_args,
tm.return_value]
                        4
                     },
                     1,2,3)

It will returns
  (wait 500ms)
[:init, TkTimer, [1, 2, 3], nil]
  (wait 100ms)
[:body, TkTimer, [], 4]
  (wait 100ms)
[:body, TkTimer, [], 5]

A TkTimer object keeps the result (last value) of the previous proc.
You can get the result by TkTimer#return_value method.

BTW, TkTimer class is not accurate. Because, the interval shows
the wait between finish of previous proc and start of next proc.
So, the timer delays by the time cost of the proc.

TkRTTimer class is a little more accurate than TkTimer class.
It modifies the interval based on the difference between the requested
time and current time. It doesn't mean to keep same intervals.
But it will make the delay by repeating minimum.
Please try "ext/tk/sample/tkrttimer.rb".
It will show you a part of properties of TkRTTimer class.