Forum: Ruby on Rails form_for tag and :id symbol issue

145e373624d173d2226a3dec4c563dfe?d=identicon&s=25 jack.tang (Guest)
Hi

I am new to RoR and practice some ruby/rails language feathers on my
toy application. Here is a question about form_for tag in rails.

== the story
People profile can be modified by end user, so there is method called
"update_profile" in the controller.

== the view

<% form_for :person,@person, :url => ....do |f|%>
    <%f.hidden_field :id %>
    <%f.text_field :ppl_name%>
<% end%>

== the controller
def update_profile
  person = Person.new(params[:person])
  puts person.id

  person.new_record = false;
  person.save
end

When I print person.id out, the value is nil. However, i can set the
id using below code
person.id = params[:ppl_id]
Can someone explain why so weird? Thanks

--jack
47c3920e98510f592b2e8dcf8bbaf07f?d=identicon&s=25 surfivor (Guest)
On Feb 9, 2:35 am, "jack.tang" <him...@gmail.com> wrote:

>   person.new_record = false;
>   person.save
> end
>
> When I print person.id out, the value is nil. However, i can set the
> id using below code
> person.id = params[:ppl_id]
> Can someone explain why so weird? Thanks
>
> --jack

I think if you are using form_for you need to use update_attributes()
to update the record
8217faf2bfdfa7daf10135d41ddd421e?d=identicon&s=25 Jeff Cohen (jeff)
On Feb 9, 1:35 am, "jack.tang" <him...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> == the controller
> def update_profile
>   person = Person.new(params[:person])
>   puts person.id
>
>   person.new_record = false;
>   person.save
> end

You don't want to create a new Person, do you?  You want to just find
the existing person and update it:

person = Person.find(params[:id])
person.update_attributes(params[:person])

And also, new_record is generally something you don't want to touch -
rails will control it automatically.

Jeff
softiesonrails.com