Forum: Ruby Deployment options with Merb or Camping

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
9d1f5d2d9de70bd9a934f557dc95a406?d=identicon&s=25 Daniel ----- (liquid)
on 2007-02-09 04:29
(Received via mailing list)
Hi all,

Sorry if this is off topic, I'll be happy to post elsewhere if it's
inappropriate.  (Pointer please)

I have a light weight web app that I would like to get going and I think
that rails is way overkill and will be a bit slow for this.  Some basic
pages, but a lot of ajax, and image re-sizing.  I would like a threaded
env
(I think) to deal with this.

I've seen stuff on camping and merb floating around the list, but where
do
you get these hosted?  Merb seems to have it's own equivelant to
mongrel,
and I'm not sure I even know what happens with camping.

Where do you host either of these apps?

Cheers
Daniel
B84d42a3a5c343f8fc6ab7d7f47fd3f5?d=identicon&s=25 Robby Russell (Guest)
on 2007-02-09 04:50
(Received via mailing list)
Daniel N wrote:
> I've seen stuff on camping and merb floating around the list, but where do
> you get these hosted?  Merb seems to have it's own equivelant to mongrel,
> and I'm not sure I even know what happens with camping.
>
> Where do you host either of these apps?

We have several customers running Camping applications on our servers.

For example, I installed JunebugWiki (built with camping) on one of our
hosting servers and am running that behind Nginx rather well.

I also believe a few customers are playing with merb, but I don't
anticipate any problems figuring out a way to get those to apps to run.

* http://www.planetargon.com/

Robby
9d1f5d2d9de70bd9a934f557dc95a406?d=identicon&s=25 Daniel ----- (liquid)
on 2007-02-09 05:02
(Received via mailing list)
On 2/9/07, Robby Russell <robby.lists@planetargon.com> wrote:t either of
these apps?



We have several customers running Camping applications on our servers.
>
> For example, I installed JunebugWiki (built with camping) on one of our
> hosting servers and am running that behind Nginx rather well.
>
> I also believe a few customers are playing with merb, but I don't
> anticipate any problems figuring out a way to get those to apps to run.
>
> * http://www.planetargon.com/


Can this run on any of the hosting plans or is it only for higher end
plans.

Also, I'm having a hard time finding any tutorial style writeups for
either
of these.

Is there anyone who could point me to these if they exist?

Thanx
B84d42a3a5c343f8fc6ab7d7f47fd3f5?d=identicon&s=25 Robby Russell (Guest)
on 2007-02-09 05:06
(Received via mailing list)
Daniel N wrote:
>> I also believe a few customers are playing with merb, but I don't
>> anticipate any problems figuring out a way to get those to apps to run.
>>
>> * http://www.planetargon.com/
>
>
> Can this run on any of the hosting plans or is it only for higher end
> plans.
>

All of our levels, you're constraints are memory, disk space, etc. Not
cool ruby frameworks. ;-)

> Also, I'm having a hard time finding any tutorial style writeups for either
> of these.
>
> Is there anyone who could point me to these if they exist?

The JunebugWiki has an install page, which was helpful and if you stop
by our IRC channel when you're trying to set it up, we can help you work
it out. It's always possible someone in the channel has done it and
hasn't added it to our docs site yet (running on camping, btw).

* http://docs.planetargon.com/

Cheers,

Robby
Ff9e18f0699bf079f1fc91c8d4506438?d=identicon&s=25 James Britt (Guest)
on 2007-02-09 07:02
(Received via mailing list)
Daniel N wrote:
> I've seen stuff on camping and merb floating around the list, but where do
> you get these hosted?  Merb seems to have it's own equivelant to mongrel,
> and I'm not sure I even know what happens with camping.

I like Nitro when I don't need one or another feature of the Rails suite
and don't want the overhead.  It plays very well with  Mongrel, and I
expect you can deploy with capistrano without too much trouble.

http://www.nitroproject.org/

--
James Britt

http://www.rubyaz.org         - Hacking in the Desert
http://www.jamesbritt.com     - Playing with Better Toys
6076c22b65b36f5d75c30bdcfb2fda85?d=identicon&s=25 Ezra Zygmuntowicz (Guest)
on 2007-02-09 07:56
(Received via mailing list)
On Feb 8, 2007, at 7:28 PM, Daniel N wrote:

> threaded env
> Cheers
> Daniel


Daniel-

  Merb uses Mongrel so any host that allows Mongrel will work with
merb. Mongrel need to be at least version 0.3.18 though. You don't
even have to get a gem installed as you can freeze the merb framework
into the app and deploy it as one code base.

Cheers-
-- Ezra Zygmuntowicz
-- Lead Rails Evangelist
-- ez@engineyard.com
-- Engine Yard, Serious Rails Hosting
-- (866) 518-YARD (9273)
96931bfe0c2948f47a98e15ae52e5637?d=identicon&s=25 Chris Carter (cdcarter)
on 2007-02-09 16:04
(Received via mailing list)
On 2/8/07, Daniel N <has.sox@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've seen stuff on camping and merb floating around the list, but where do
> you get these hosted?  Merb seems to have it's own equivelant to mongrel,
> and I'm not sure I even know what happens with camping.
>
> Where do you host either of these apps?
>
> Cheers
> Daniel
>
Hi Daniel!
Deploying camping applications is pretty simple with Evan Weaver's
"rv"[0].  On his blog there are also a bunch of great camping
articles.

Camping deploys to Mongrel, like a rails or merb application, or you
can use FCGI or WEBrick.  It's very flexible.

You can ask questions in #camping on irc.freenode.net

[0]:
http://blog.evanweaver.com/articles/2006/12/19/rv-...
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.