Forum: Rails deployment Why cannot see webpage, only display directories (webrick)

E506a9a71d5a1691463128475116e084?d=identicon&s=25 Yan (Guest)
on 2007-02-07 19:14
I think I almost got it. But other than see the default welcome page in
the public folder I cannot see other pages that I created using
scaffold.

When I type the application name that I created using "rails" command,
it only displays the directories under it.

I am using webrick. I guess it comes with rails.
I have seen people saying using mongrel. Which one is better in terms of
working with apache?

I am still not very clear about how it actually works. Any suggestion of
any books, tutorials for beginners of those server configrations?

Thanks!
65cf838378fb068035070ffe60c76e97?d=identicon&s=25 jamiequint@gmail.com (Guest)
It sounds like you are still working within a development deployment,
rather than a deployment environment.

> When I type the application name that I created using "rails" command,
> it only displays the directories under it.

where are you typing this name? You should be accessing your
application at http://localhost:3000

Best,
Jamie
E506a9a71d5a1691463128475116e084?d=identicon&s=25 Yan (Guest)
on 2007-02-07 23:50
I can see the pages on the server (local host). localhost works fine.
But when I am using the other computer and typed domain. I can only see
the directory list.

jamiequint@gmail.com wrote:
> It sounds like you are still working within a development deployment,
> rather than a deployment environment.
>
>> When I type the application name that I created using "rails" command,
>> it only displays the directories under it.
>
> where are you typing this name? You should be accessing your
> application at http://localhost:3000
>
> Best,
> Jamie
6b02afbbbeddc420d7b605e5600aefee?d=identicon&s=25 dagny (Guest)
Webrick is useful only for development, not production. It is way too
slow. There's a some message thread here on mongrel that you might
look at.

If you are seeing the rails welcom message, you may have a file named
index.html in your app/public directory. Rename this to something like
oldindex.html and retry.
B84d42a3a5c343f8fc6ab7d7f47fd3f5?d=identicon&s=25 Robby Russell (Guest)
Yan wrote:

Yes, you'll want to use Mongrel for this and usually people have
something in front of it (Apache, Nginx, Pound, Lighttpd).

> I am still not very clear about how it actually works. Any suggestion of
> any books, tutorials for beginners of those server configrations?

I think that there is some mention of this in the Agile Web Dev with
Rails book.

Some of our customers are working on deployment tips here:

* http://docs.planetargon.com/Deployment

Good luck!

Robby

--