Forum: Ruby on Rails Mongrel CPU Usage

Ca93b7c135564e9eecba37780c0458c5?d=identicon&s=25 glenn (Guest)
Hi
Just wondering whats reasonable to expect in terms of mongrels CPU
usage. I've established an app with 1 mongrel instance on a debian
etch box. This process idles (yes idles) on 10% - 20% - this means say
I install 10 apps each with 2 mongrels, I've used twice my cpu
capacity _without_ even accepting a hit!

is this reasonable/typical behvaviour from mongrel? What are the
minimum specs of a cpu people are typically using for mongrel?

heres my /proc/cpuinfo:
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 6
model           : 10
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm)
stepping        : 0
cpu MHz         : 1250.065
cache size      : 512 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow up ts
bogomips        : 2506.90

Thanks for any hints
Glenn
Hi Glenn,

glenn wrote:

> Just wondering whats reasonable to expect
> in terms of mongrels CPU usage. I've
> established an app with 1 mongrel instance on
> a debian etch box. This process idles (yes idles)
> on 10% - 20%

IM(very limited)E, I'd say something is definitely fubar with your
config.
I'm on a VPS at a2hosting with 10-12 other apps on the box and, looking
at
top, your numbers are way out of whack.

There's a new, better place to post your question.  Robby Russell from
PlanetArgon started it for just this kind of thing and all the top-level
Rails admin talent is there.
http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-deployment?hl=en

They're here too, of course.  It's just a signal/noise thing.

hth,
Bill
Ca93b7c135564e9eecba37780c0458c5?d=identicon&s=25 glenn (Guest)

great that -will follow that up
thanks
C319ec7828874b714f89fdb2200de905?d=identicon&s=25 Ben Myles (Guest)
On 2/7/07, glenn <glenn@tangelosoftware.net> wrote:
> is this reasonable/typical behvaviour from mongrel? What are the
> minimum specs of a cpu people are typically using for mongrel?

No way. CPU usage should be negligible when not processing requests.
Are you sure you're not accidentally reading the value from the memory
usage column?