Forum: Radiant CMS Metal vs. 0.6.0

F5bb7b224939ac09f895ae677ec9ecff?d=identicon&s=25 Christian Niles (Guest)
Hi All,

I'm excited to start using the new extensions stuff to get some new
sites up, and hopefully convert some older ones.

Before I get too far, I was wondering if there is still any reason to
work off the metal branch, since the 0.6.0 candidate was just
released. When I went to create a test extension, I noticed that
script/generate is missing from my radiant site directory, so maybe I
need metal to develop extensions?

thanks!
christian.
6ec6f77ea603dd75b3a7a7775b059e79?d=identicon&s=25 John W. Long (Guest)
Christian Niles wrote:
> Before I get too far, I was wondering if there is still any reason to
> work off the metal branch, since the 0.6.0 candidate was just
> released. When I went to create a test extension, I noticed that
> script/generate is missing from my radiant site directory, so maybe I
> need metal to develop extensions?

The release candidate gem was built from the mental branch. The reason
script/generate isn't included is that the generators aren't completely
supported in instance mode. We should rectify this though. If people are
creating extensions it would be nice to be able to do it in instance
mode.

--
John Long
http://wiseheartdesign.com
> creating extensions it would be nice to be able to do it in instance
> mode.

Can somebody tell me what "instance mode" and "application mode" are?
8802b1fa1b53e2197beea9454244f847?d=identicon&s=25 Sean Cribbs (Guest)
Jacob Burkhart wrote:
>> creating extensions it would be nice to be able to do it in instance
>> mode.
>>

> Can somebody tell me what "instance mode" and "application mode" are?

"Instance mode" is where the majority of the code is loaded from the
installed gem, and the minimal amount of stuff is present in the
deployment directory (i.e. config, public, etc).  "Application mode" is
where the full Radiant application, with all relevant code, is in the
deployment directory.

Sean
61c2e937e608b1a57b6c7f9468a9455c?d=identicon&s=25 jsmorris (Guest)
Apparently, I am using application mode of deployment, but is there a
best know method as when to  deploy using application mode versus
instance mode?

What are the pros/cons of each?
1c1e3bdfe006a22214102fcd6434a012?d=identicon&s=25 Daniel Sheppard (Guest)
> Apparently, I am using application mode of deployment, but is there a
> best know method as when to  deploy using application mode versus
> instance mode?
>
> What are the pros/cons of each?

Instance mode is for when you want to install multiple radiant sites on
the one server and keep them all at the same version.

Dan.