Forum: Ruby on Rails Beginner Q: Keeping the Ruby on Rails platform up to date.

C5b20b09d5d24bd554f703ff0595696b?d=identicon&s=25 Kristen (Guest)
on 2007-02-04 08:09
Hello, I recently installed the ruby on rails framework from this

So, I installed:

Ruby on Rails 1.1
Ruby 1.8.4
LightTPD 1.4.13
FastCGI 2.4.0
RubyGems 0.9.0
Readline 5.1
PCRE 6.6
FastCGI and MySQL bindings

I figured out how to keep my ruby on rails up to date by using the
command "gem update rails --include-dependencies", but what about all
the other stuff?  Should I keep checking their website to see if updates
are available and then compiling, installiing them?  Or is there a
quicker command line way to keep all the stuff up to date?  Maybe a
similar command like the one ruby on rails has.

Also, any other tips regarding the maintanance of Ruby on Rails would be
much appricated!

Thanks in advance!
67f61f0c385168c4b2e5b8fd733c397f?d=identicon&s=25 Christos Zisopoulos (Guest)
Hi Kristen,

If you *really* need to keep up to date, maybe you should install
everything using MacPorts[1]

There is an article[2] describing how to 'sandbox' Rails with MacPort
in order to have multiple version of your pre-requisites installed.
The update process after that is pretty much a simple command, 'sudo
port upgrade installed'.

You can do many more things with MacPorts, but you will be hard
pressed to find documentation for it. Here[3] is the manual from when
it was called DarwinPorts.

C5b20b09d5d24bd554f703ff0595696b?d=identicon&s=25 Kristen (Guest)
on 2007-02-04 20:45
Christos Zisopoulos wrote:

> [1]
> [2]
> [3]
> -christos

Thank you very much, I'll take a look at those links.