Forum: Ruby What's up with Time.local ?

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
B58c6eef325656d513d26e2c3ae6bfd9?d=identicon&s=25 Peter Bailey (peterbailey)
on 2007-02-02 18:58
I need to check some file dates against the budgetary periods of our
company, to determine where those files get placed. I'm playing with the
Time.local object. I've proven that I can denote which budget period I'm
in by using the .between? method. But, I get this weird "octal digit"
error with some of my date entries.

irb(main):001:0> t = Time.local(2007,09,09,00,00)
SyntaxError: compile error
(irb):1: Illegal octal digit
t = Time.local(2007,09,09,00,00)
                      ^
(irb):1: Illegal octal digit
t = Time.local(2007,09,09,00,00)
                         ^

I don't get the error when I specify the following date. It doesn't seem
to like the month of September. (-;

irb(main):005:0> t = Time.local(2007,01,01,00,00)
=> Mon Jan 01 00:00:00 -0500 2007

Thanks,
Peter
58479f76374a3ba3c69b9804163f39f4?d=identicon&s=25 Eric Hodel (Guest)
on 2007-02-02 19:22
(Received via mailing list)
On Feb 2, 2007, at 09:58, Peter Bailey wrote:
> (irb):1: Illegal octal digit
> t = Time.local(2007,09,09,00,00)
>                       ^
> (irb):1: Illegal octal digit
> t = Time.local(2007,09,09,00,00)
>                          ^
>
> I don't get the error when I specify the following date. It doesn't
> seem
> to like the month of September. (-;

If you put a 0 in front of a number you are specifying an octal
number instead of a decimal number.  Octal is base 8, so there is no
such thing as an octal number including a digit greater than 7:

t = Time.local 2007, 011, 011, 00, 00

Instead just use base 10:

Time.local 2007, 9, 9, 0, 0
F3b02532d4cb4855881935c002389213?d=identicon&s=25 Morton Goldberg (Guest)
on 2007-02-02 19:24
(Received via mailing list)
On Feb 2, 2007, at 12:58 PM, Peter Bailey wrote:

> (irb):1: Illegal octal digit
> irb(main):005:0> t = Time.local(2007,01,01,00,00)
> => Mon Jan 01 00:00:00 -0500 2007

In Ruby starting an integer with a leading zero designates that it is
in octal notation. The non-negative octal integers start 00, 01, ...,
07, 010, 011, .... There is no 09.

Bottom line: drop the leading zeros.

Regards, Morton
0107ef1bc42d0626a706ca6af9a43060?d=identicon&s=25 Jos Backus (Guest)
on 2007-02-02 19:25
(Received via mailing list)
On Sat, Feb 03, 2007 at 02:58:59AM +0900, Peter Bailey wrote:
> I need to check some file dates against the budgetary periods of our
> company, to determine where those files get placed. I'm playing with the
> Time.local object. I've proven that I can denote which budget period I'm
> in by using the .between? method. But, I get this weird "octal digit"
> error with some of my date entries.
>
> irb(main):001:0> t = Time.local(2007,09,09,00,00)
> SyntaxError: compile error
> (irb):1: Illegal octal digit
> t = Time.local(2007,09,09,00,00)

Numeric literals starting with `0' are interpreted as octal numbers. Try
dropping the leading `0''s.

>                       ^
> (irb):1: Illegal octal digit
> t = Time.local(2007,09,09,00,00)
>                          ^
>
> I don't get the error when I specify the following date. It doesn't seem
> to like the month of September. (-;
>
> irb(main):005:0> t = Time.local(2007,01,01,00,00)
> => Mon Jan 01 00:00:00 -0500 2007

That's because there is no `9' in the base-8 number system, just like
there is
no `A' in the regular base-10 number system (but there is in the base-16
system a.k.a. hexadecimal).

Hth,
64aa7e97380fdc87de64cbf8e594eb37?d=identicon&s=25 AdSR (Guest)
on 2007-02-02 19:27
(Received via mailing list)
On Feb 2, 6:58 pm, Peter Bailey <pbai...@bna.com> wrote:
>                       ^
> (irb):1: Illegal octal digit
> t = Time.local(2007,09,09,00,00)
>                          ^

The problem is the leading zero. Time.local(2007, 9, 9, 0, 0) works
fine.

Number literals with a zero at the beginning are interpreted as octal
numbers. Since octal numbers only use digits 0..7, 9 is rejected (as
would be 8).

HTH,
AdSR
B58c6eef325656d513d26e2c3ae6bfd9?d=identicon&s=25 Peter Bailey (peterbailey)
on 2007-02-02 20:46
AdSR wrote:
> On Feb 2, 6:58 pm, Peter Bailey <pbai...@bna.com> wrote:
>>                       ^
>> (irb):1: Illegal octal digit
>> t = Time.local(2007,09,09,00,00)
>>                          ^
>
> The problem is the leading zero. Time.local(2007, 9, 9, 0, 0) works
> fine.
>
> Number literals with a zero at the beginning are interpreted as octal
> numbers. Since octal numbers only use digits 0..7, 9 is rejected (as
> would be 8).
>
> HTH,
> AdSR

You're all brilliant. Thanks. Yes, when I re-looked into my book that
was guiding me with this, I see that all of their sample don't have a
leading zero.

-Peter
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.