Forum: Ruby on Rails What are the best Rails editors on linux?

1ca94522746f7fcf4eea3d3f418d3a66?d=identicon&s=25 Dan (Guest)
Hello,

I usually use a Mac for Rails development, but may need to use Linux
for a job.  I still love the vi keymappings, but would like something
that allows me to manage projects and files - i.e. similar level to
Textmate.  What have people been having success with?

I would prefer not to use Eclipse or emacs variants.

Thanks.
72ee7b478a235f646c3495f03ebbe676?d=identicon&s=25 Andrew Stewart (Guest)
> I usually use a Mac for Rails development, but may need to use Linux
> for a job.

Me too.  Good choice!

> I still love the vi keymappings, but would like something
> that allows me to manage projects and files - i.e. similar level to
> Textmate.  What have people been having success with?

How about trying the various buffer/file explorer plugins that are
available for Vim?  I tried a few and the one I really like is
bufexplorer:

It doesn't provide a graphical view like TextMate's project drawer
(or whatever it's called), but it is quick to pull up and gets out of
your way when you don't need it.

> I would prefer not to use Eclipse or emacs variants.

I couldn't possibly comment :)

Regards,
Andy Stewart
A1a22fbcc528100593e2600f7eaa0ac6?d=identicon&s=25 IsBOF (Guest)

If you are running some gui then check out JEdit (http://
www.jedit.org). It is fast and have at ton of plugins that should help
you.

Regards,

Rasmus
34f5b045aec62235c17458650ea75353?d=identicon&s=25 Steve Koppelman (hatless)
on 2007-02-01 15:26
Dan wrote:
> I usually use a Mac for Rails development, but may need to use Linux
> for a job.  I still love the vi keymappings, but would like something
> that allows me to manage projects and files - i.e. similar level to
> Textmate.  What have people been having success with?
>
> I would prefer not to use Eclipse or emacs variants.

I can certainly understand not wanting Eclipse's overhead, but if you've
got the RAM and CPU, Eclipse with RadRails has a lot going for it: you
get the project explorer with SVN or CVS integration, which includes
nice built-in diff tools, and as of the current version, RadRails has
most of the TextMate snippets working. If you throw in the Aptana plugin
and associate it with .css and .js, you get nice outline views for that
stuff, too.
Daa61d3c632216dc6705c648d070ad0f?d=identicon&s=25 Mark Thomas (Guest)
On Feb 1, 12:28 am, "Dan" <danm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I usually use a Mac for Rails development, but may need to use Linux
> for a job.  I still love the vi keymappings, but would like something
> that allows me to manage projects and files - i.e. similar level to
> Textmate.  What have people been having success with?

Komode IDE is great! It supports vi keymappings, manages projects and
files, understands RHTML (correctly colors the ruby inside the HTML),
It also has method autocompletion and calltips. Even better, it has
debugging tools specifically for Ruby on Rails, and you can even
access irb within a debugging session to poke around at the state of
your app. You can also debug a remote app (way cool, but I haven't
tried this feature yet).

You didn't say if you were restricting your choice to free editors,
but if so, try the free Komodo Edit (http://www.activestate.com/
products/komodo_edit/features.plex) which retains the vi keymappings
and project/file management.

I like the three-pane view where you have your rails project, your
open file tabs, and the embedded browser running your app. Everytime
you save your changes the browser reloads to reflect your changes.

I don't understand why Komodo isn't discussed much here, as it is
definitely my preferred platform for Ruby development, and I've tried
just about all the linux options. I'd try TextMate on OSX given the
chance to work on OSX, but honestly I think I'd prefer the OSX version
of Komodo.
675475d0b65710be6d992eb5eb2c61c2?d=identicon&s=25 Gregory Seidman (Guest)
On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 05:28:15AM -0000, Dan wrote:
> I usually use a Mac for Rails development, but may need to use Linux
> for a job.  I still love the vi keymappings, but would like something
> that allows me to manage projects and files - i.e. similar level to
> Textmate.  What have people been having success with?

I don't use it (I'm happy with xterms and gvim with my own
customizations,
which I happen to use on a Mac but could just as easily use on Windows
or
Linux), but VimMate looks like it might suit you. See
http://vimmate.rubyforge.org/

> I would prefer not to use Eclipse or emacs variants.
> Thanks.
--Greg
15c80c9bf8be5ba6e5eeac9cb0304464?d=identicon&s=25 Ed Hickey (Guest)
this is quite an amazing rails addon for Vim:
http://rails.vim.tpope.net/

allows you to jump around your project with quick keys, auto-completion,
etc.  There's a demo video link on the site.

ed
F81ee244dfd600a4888b4a1bfd25db87?d=identicon&s=25 Gijs Nijholt (gijs)
A co-worker can recommend Kate on KDE (http://kate-editor.org/)
Looks very nice, lightweight, and complete.
But I'll stick to Textmate on the Mac for now.
09e6ba06911a5781c04be8554f114aba?d=identicon&s=25 Rob Nichols (reggieb)
on 2007-02-01 18:27
Steve Koppelman wrote:
> Dan wrote:
>> I would prefer not to use Eclipse or emacs variants.
>
> I can certainly understand not wanting Eclipse's overhead, but if you've
> got the RAM and CPU, Eclipse with RadRails has a lot going for it:

EasyEclipse is worth a look:

http://www.easyeclipse.org/site/home/

Bundled solution that provides Eclipse with the add-ons (e.g. the
RadRails plug-in) best suited to Rails.