Forum: Ruby on Rails Engines kills my app

66f8deb95f8174885c85592e8c86377c?d=identicon&s=25 Keith Davey (Guest)

I have an app I have been building which has been running fine with
rails
1.2.1.

I wanted to use Datebocks so I installed engines. Now when I try to
start up
my app it fails.
If I remove engines it runs again.

The error on startup is:
Expected
/Users/keithdavey/Documents/source/mprails/config/../app/controllers/public_controller.rb
to define PublicController

However, public_controller does define PublicController

Anyone else seeing problems with Engines.

I should mention I am a Rails noob so this could just be stupidity.

Thanks,

Keith
00e3a96684ab390a350b0271e98741d3?d=identicon&s=25 Nshbrown Nshbrown (nshb)
There is a 1.2 branch which is near official release from what I
understand, that will fix the main bugs. Although, DateBocks hasn't
been upgraded yet to support it :)

Soon.... I will update it. I was planning on a major release, but it
looks like a minor release for bugs may be necessary.

Nathaniel.

--
Nathaniel Steven Henry Brown

Toll Free: 1-877-446-4647
Vancouver: 604-724-6624
66f8deb95f8174885c85592e8c86377c?d=identicon&s=25 Keith Davey (Guest)
Thats great, thanks.

Keith
On Tue, 2007-01-30 at 10:12 -0800, Nathaniel Brown wrote:
> There is a 1.2 branch which is near official release from what I
> understand, that will fix the main bugs. Although, DateBocks hasn't
> been upgraded yet to support it :)
>
> Soon.... I will update it. I was planning on a major release, but it
> looks like a minor release for bugs may be necessary.
----
either way (major release or minor bug fix) would be great when you get
it done.

Is there no way to refactor to a plugin instead of an engine?

Thanks for your efforts

Craig
00e3a96684ab390a350b0271e98741d3?d=identicon&s=25 Nshbrown Nshbrown (nshb)
Hey Craig,

I have been seriously considering it, and with the recent
investigation into the FCKEditor plugin I just came across, this
definately looks feasible in a future version.

I am seriously in definance against everyones criticisms towards
Engines. They provide functionality for Rails plugins that  _needs_ to
be implemented, and is inching closer to becoming a reality.

On that merit alone, I am hesistant to refactor it into a plugin as it
provides a extremely simple means to do everything I need without
having to write a bunch of FileUtil commands to copy over assets into
the public directory, and add routes and such without adding the 4
different pluginaweek utilities which sum up to the one plugin being
engines.

I am consdering it, but haven't entirely made up my mind yet :) It
doesn't make sense to write custom code specifically for DateBocks
when the functionality can be provided by default simply by including
the engines plugin.

Unless there is a serious _error_ or _performance_ loss rather than
simply a political view that encourages a plugin over engines, I am
hesitatnt. If I did write it as a plugin, it would be because more
people would use it, but would really require more work maintaining
it.

--
Nathaniel Steven Henry Brown

Toll Free: 1-877-446-4647
Vancouver: 604-724-6624
> On that merit alone, I am hesistant to refactor it into a plugin as it
> provides a extremely simple means to do everything I need without
> having to write a bunch of FileUtil commands to copy over assets into
> the public directory, and add routes and such without adding the 4
> different pluginaweek utilities which sum up to the one plugin being
> engines.

There's no reason why people can't do these things manually, if that's
their preference. Remember that you don't have to pander to the wide
and varying needs of the many - just come up with a solution that
suits your usage, and stick with that. The 1.2 release of the engines
plugin was designed with this in mind.

--
* J *
  ~