Forum: Ruby on Rails [OT] Suggestions on SVN client for OS X

Df4094cdfdbe66545fc3e78bbaa360ae?d=identicon&s=25 Chris Johnston (Guest)
Hello all,

I am looking for some suggestions on a good Subversion client for use on
OS
X. I have tried SmartSVN, an excellent program but only free for
non-commercial projects, and svnX which is more Mac like, but has to be
one
of the most confusing programs I have ever used. I really don't like the
split that it makes between repositories and local copies.

So, since a ton of people seem to be using Macs on this list, I thought
would ask what clients people are using.

Chris
--
www.fuzzylizard.com

You know you've achieved perfection in design, Not when you have nothing
more to add, But when you have nothing more to take away.
— Antoine de Saint-Exupery
21f217fbece2b47ce72cd60ffb32b869?d=identicon&s=25 bryanl (Guest)
Hi!

On Jan 28, 2:13 pm, "Chris Johnston" <fuzzyliz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am looking for some suggestions on a good Subversion client for use on OS
> X. I have tried SmartSVN, an excellent program but only free for
> non-commercial projects, and svnX which is more Mac like, but has to be one
> of the most confusing programs I have ever used. I really don't like the
> split that it makes between repositories and local copies.
>
> So, since a ton of people seem to be using Macs on this list, I thought I
> would ask what clients people are using.

Whats wrong with subversion from the command line?  You can install it
using macports.  Also, if you Textmate, check out the SVN bundle.
43ec5998360a0cc21b51afef1781e9c0?d=identicon&s=25 Daniel Higginbotham (danieldaniel)
bryanl wrote:
>> split that it makes between repositories and local copies.
>>
>> So, since a ton of people seem to be using Macs on this list, I thought I
>> would ask what clients people are using.
>>

> Whats wrong with subversion from the command line?  You can install it
> using macports.  Also, if you Textmate, check out the SVN bundle.

Is Textmate a verb now? :)
3e6bbd5a01437feec48adf3838b15d91?d=identicon&s=25 askegg (Guest)
On Jan 29, 6:13 am, "Chris Johnston" <fuzzyliz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Chris
> --www.fuzzylizard.com
>
> You know you've achieved perfection in design, Not when you have nothing
> more to add, But when you have nothing more to take away.
> - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

I prefer the command line (installed using http://www.codingmonkeys.de/
mbo/).
There is this (http://zigzig.com/content/view/15/29/), which works but
needs more development on the interface (IMHO).  Development seems to
have stopped though....
91a296784a35bb4efb6221abc282127d?d=identicon&s=25 Adam Greene (Guest)
check out 'svnX'.  It is a very simple client, but it works and it has
nice integration to Apple's FileMerge diff utility.

http://www.lachoseinteractive.net/en/community/sub...
features/

Adam
Ee238d259f37429f7f55bd53102554cd?d=identicon&s=25 merg (Guest)
I use svnX (http://www.lachoseinteractive.net/en/community/subversion/
svnx/features/) or the Eclipse Subclipse plugin in combination with
Mylar (another great Eclipse plugin).
Efe398b3b5436b0a8d4430090e8f86ea?d=identicon&s=25 seth b. (subimage)
There's not a really great SVN GUI client out for mac (or pc for that
matter). I guess I'm spoiled coming from perforce originally.

But like the others I'll echo their recommendations and go with svnX and
Textmate.........

I use a combo of both with the command line to get things done.

On 1/28/07, merg <demerg@gmail.com> wrote:

> I use svnX (http://www.lachoseinteractive.net/en/community/subversion/
> svnx/features/) or the Eclipse Subclipse plugin in combination with
> Mylar (another great Eclipse plugin).

--
--------------------
seth at subimage interactive
-----
http://www.subimage.com
http://sublog.subimage.com
-----
http://www.getcashboard.com
http://dev.subimage.com/projects/substruct
153107d9ef8352ea7f787d2090d81666?d=identicon&s=25 marston@sugarstats.com (Guest)
I use the free version of SmartSVN just fine, but I guess I don't need
the "advanced" features.  Though I'm using the command line more and
more now anyways.
Df4094cdfdbe66545fc3e78bbaa360ae?d=identicon&s=25 Chris Johnston (Guest)
So far the clear winners are the command line and svnX. I have the
command
line client installed and have started to use it a little bit. Although,
my
first attempt at that completely killed my setup in SmartSVN for some
reason. Apparently the two do not like to play together. Anyone else
have
this?

I think I may give svnX another try. Initially I was put off by the
rather
odd UI, but there may be an excellent program sitting in behind waiting
be discovered.

As for SmartSVN, I really like it as well. However, I am starting to
work on
a commercial web app and can't continue to use it without violating the
license (as far as I remember).

Thanks for the suggestions.

Chris

--

Chris Johnston wrote:

> So far the clear winners are the command line and svnX.

I don't know if anyone else has pointed out the common practice here.

Add a rake task called either ci or submit. Mine looks like this:

task(:submit => [:cook, :test]) do
  comment = ENV['comment'] || ENV['m']
  comment = 'refactor'  if not comment or '' == comment
  sh 'svn commit -m "' + comment + '"'
end

(:cook is another custom task that runs db:migrate on each environment.)

Call that like this:

    rake submit m='inflatable squirrel carcass'

Because you want to run all the recent tests after every few edits, you
should have a command line open at all times. And each time you
integrate,
something should run all the tests first to gate the submission. So you
should stay in the command line, and not rely on mouse-abuse...

--
  Phlip
8217faf2bfdfa7daf10135d41ddd421e?d=identicon&s=25 Jeff Cohen (jeff)
> Add a rake task called either ci or submit. Mine looks like this:
>
> task(:submit => [:cook, :test]) do
>   comment = ENV['comment'] || ENV['m']
>   comment = 'refactor'  if not comment or '' == comment
>   sh 'svn commit -m "' + comment + '"'
> end

Interesting... I wonder if there's a way to first have it call "rake
test" and only commit if all the tests pass?

Jeff
Jeff wrote:

>> Add a rake task called either ci or submit. Mine looks like this:
>>
>> task(:submit => [:cook, :test]) do
>>   comment = ENV['comment'] || ENV['m']
>>   comment = 'refactor'  if not comment or '' == comment
>>   sh 'svn commit -m "' + comment + '"'
>> end
>
> Interesting... I wonder if there's a way to first have it call "rake
> test" and only commit if all the tests pass?

Besides the :submit => [:cook, :test] dependency?

;-)

--
  Phlip
8217faf2bfdfa7daf10135d41ddd421e?d=identicon&s=25 Jeff Cohen (jeff)
>Besides the :submit => [:cook, :test] dependency?

Doh!  Thanks!
Ec5a599777854c540fd102ef4691fe10?d=identicon&s=25 Rimantas Liubertas (Guest)
<...>
> I have the command
> line client installed and have started to use it a little bit. Although, my
> first attempt at that completely killed my setup in SmartSVN for some
> reason. Apparently the two do not like to play together. Anyone else have
> this?
<...>

Newest versions of SmartSVN convert working copy to the newer format, so
if your
command line client is older than 1.4 you won't be able to use both on
the same working copy. The solution is either to use older version of
SmartSVN (2.0.x I believe) or to upgrade command line client to
version 1.4.
Not sure if it is what heppended in your case though.

--
Regards,
Rimantas

http://scplugin.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList
500eed9baf68f3cb5eb9baa461b72247?d=identicon&s=25 John Huffaker (Guest)
I'm using svnX currently.  I've found I need to do my delete's in a
very specific order to get it to work properly (Don't delete the file
on the local drive or your hosed, always delete it through svnX, I
imagine it's the same for renames).  Something along the lines of
TortoiseSVN for windows would make me very happy.

I am very impressed with Apple's FileMerge utility that svnX uses,
though.
John Huffaker <jhuffaker@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm using svnX currently.  I've found I need to do my delete's in a
> very specific order to get it to work properly (Don't delete the file
> on the local drive or your hosed, always delete it through svnX, I
> imagine it's the same for renames).

That's because any GUI tool here would wrap the command line
equivalent...

  svn rm foo   #  erase foo from both the file system and codebase
  svn mv bar foo   #  rename foo in both places

One wonders if Rails works with any other version controller. Don't
please answer - they are probably pluggable...

--
  Phlip
  http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?ZeekLand  <-- NOT a blog!!