Forum: Ruby keybox 1.1.0 Released

Ae36591847393e58ff189704f5eb18f2?d=identicon&s=25 Jeremy Hinegardner (Guest)
keybox version 1.1.0 has been released.

  http://keybox.rubyforge.org

Keybox is a set of command line applications and ruby libraries for
secure password storage and password generation.

{{ Changelog for Version 1.1.0 }}

=== Version 1.1.0

* keybox now uses HighLine for terminal input/output
* Added --color SCHEME option to support custom colorized output
  and non-colorzed output
  - ships with light_bg and dark_bg schemes, dark_bg is default
* Fixed configuration bug where command line options were not
  correctly overwriting default options.

  http://keybox.rubyforge.org
On 1/27/07, Jeremy Hinegardner <jeremy@hinegardner.org> wrote:

> * keybox now uses HighLine for terminal input/output
> * Added --color SCHEME option to support custom colorized output
>   and non-colorzed output

Sweet.   Nice work jeremy
On Sun, Jan 28, 2007 at 01:55:31PM +0900, Gregory Brown wrote:
> >=== Version 1.1.0
> >
> >* keybox now uses HighLine for terminal input/output
> >* Added --color SCHEME option to support custom colorized output
> >  and non-colorzed output
>
> Sweet.   Nice work jeremy

Well kudos to James and you for accpeting my HighLine patch that made it
possible.

enjoy,

-jeremy
Aee77dba395ece0a04c688b05b07cd63?d=identicon&s=25 Daniel Berger (Guest)
Gregory Brown wrote:
>> === Version 1.1.0
>>
>> * keybox now uses HighLine for terminal input/output
>> * Added --color SCHEME option to support custom colorized output
>>   and non-colorzed output
>
> Sweet.   Nice work jeremy

Yep, nice.

Greg, is there any builtin support for keybox within Ruport?

I've been using dbi-dbrc to store database login/passwords in the past,
but they aren't encrypted (just protected via perms). I may have to use
this if the API is friendly (I've only looked at the demo so far). :)

Dan
On Sun, Jan 28, 2007 at 02:08:22PM +0900, Daniel Berger wrote:

> I've been using dbi-dbrc to store database login/passwords in the past,
> but they aren't encrypted (just protected via perms). I may have to use
> this if the API is friendly (I've only looked at the demo so far). :)

I think the documentation for Keybox is pretty good, but feel free to
call me on it.  Its all on the website as rdoc,  You'll probably want to
look at the Storage::Container documentation.

    http://keybox.rubyforge.org/rdoc/index.html

Here's a quick script to give you an idea of what you could do to roll
your own encrypted storage container using keybox.

    % cat embedded_container.rb
    require  'keybox'
    include Keybox

    PASSPHRASE = "passphrase"
    DB_PATH    = "/tmp/database.yaml"

    container = Storage::Container.new(PASSPHRASE,DB_PATH)

    # use the already existing HostAccountEntry
    container << HostAccountEntry.new("My DB Login",
                                      "db.example.com",
                                      "dbmanager",
                                      "a really good password")
    container.save

    # pretend we're in a different part of a program, or another program
    c2 = Storage::Container.new(PASSPHRASE,DB_PATH)

    # iterate over results
    c2.find("example").each do |c|
        puts c
    end
    puts "=" * 20

    # or we just now we want the first one found
    puts c2.find(/com/).first

Let me know if you have any specific questions or approaches.  And if
you have some requests for specific API's or functionality let me know.
And patches are always good.

enjoy,

-jeremy
On Jan 27, 2007, at 10:59 PM, Jeremy Hinegardner wrote:

> possible.
Kudos to you for choosing to patch HighLine enough to meet your needs
so we all might benefit.

Notice to all:  HighLine now supports color schemes thanks to Jeremy.

James Edward Gray II
45196398e9685000d195ec626d477f0e?d=identicon&s=25 Trans (Guest)
On Jan 28, 12:56 am, James Edward Gray II <j...@grayproductions.net>
wrote:
> >> Sweet.   Nice work jeremy
>
> > Well kudos to James and you for accpeting my HighLine patch that
> > made it
> > possible.Kudos to you for choosing to patch HighLine enough to meet your needs
> so we all might benefit.
>
> Notice to all:  HighLine now supports color schemes thanks to Jeremy.

maybe keybox should become a part of HighLine? sounds like a perfect
fit.

T.
On Jan 28, 2007, at 6:00 AM, Trans wrote:

> maybe keybox should become a part of HighLine? sounds like a perfect
> fit.

That's completely up to Jeremy, but I'm not sure I see the need to
merge.  Seems like we have the best of both worlds now.

James Edward Gray II
On 1/28/07, Daniel Berger <djberg96@gmail.com> wrote:

> Greg, is there any builtin support for keybox within Ruport?

Daniel, no, not just yet.

I don't think I'd go for built in support, but within the next couple
week we'll have a system for Ruport Extensions and this would be a
great addition.  So, if you'd like stop by the Ruport list and share
your ideas :)
On 1/28/07, James Edward Gray II <james@grayproductions.net> wrote:
> On Jan 28, 2007, at 6:00 AM, Trans wrote:
>
> > maybe keybox should become a part of HighLine? sounds like a perfect
> > fit.
>
> That's completely up to Jeremy, but I'm not sure I see the need to
> merge.  Seems like we have the best of both worlds now.

Agreed.  I kind of like that HighLine is more-or-less self contained
and though Keybox makes a great combination with it, I don't know that
it'd really need to be in HighLine.

Definitely cool stuff all around though :)
On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 01:45:53AM +0900, Gregory Brown wrote:
> and though Keybox makes a great combination with it, I don't know that
> it'd really need to be in HighLine.

I'll have to say I don't see a reason to merge the two projects.  Keybox
is first and foremost a password storage/management system. And
HighLine is a great library for doing terminal IO.  Keybox just happens
to use HighLine for its terminal IO and pretty colours.

enjoy,

-jeremy