Forum: GNU Radio Older Linux Kernel Compatibility?

821c1adf3f4be2f2aa6fbc89cce4c69a?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Dickens (Guest)
I'm not a Linux expert by any stretch [though this coming week I get
to do my first Linux install: Ubuntu 6.10 onto an Intel-Mac running
Parallels ... should be interesting].  I'm trying to get GNU Radio
installed onto an ARM-based "embedded"-style board running Debian
Linux 2.4.26 ("Sarge", I think), and am having difficulties.
Something is going wrong with SWIG, in its' creation of the C++
python interface code; everything else seems to work OK up to that
point.  Thus my wondering (naively?) if the kernel version is too
old?  Thanks! - MLD
On Sat, Jan 27, 2007 at 03:35:40PM -0500, Michael Dickens wrote:
> I'm not a Linux expert by any stretch [though this coming week I get
> to do my first Linux install: Ubuntu 6.10 onto an Intel-Mac running
> Parallels ... should be interesting].  I'm trying to get GNU Radio
> installed onto an ARM-based "embedded"-style board running Debian
> Linux 2.4.26 ("Sarge", I think), and am having difficulties.
> Something is going wrong with SWIG, in its' creation of the C++
> python interface code; everything else seems to work OK up to that
> point.  Thus my wondering (naively?) if the kernel version is too
> old?  Thanks! - MLD

The kernel's probably fine, though I don't know if the USRP / libusb
stuff has been tested on it.  It's been a while since I had a 2.4
kernel on any of my machines.

When you say "something is going wrong with SWIG", what do you mean?
Does it fail to generate the code, or can't the generated file be
compiled, or something else?

What version of g++ are you using?

How much memeory does the embedded system have?
Does it have swap?

The virtual size of g++ when compiling the swig generated code is on
the order of 350 - 400MB for the x86 architecture.  I don't expect
it's much different for ARM.

Eric
On Jan 27, 2007, at 3:49 PM, Eric Blossom wrote:
> How much memeory does the embedded system have?
> Does it have swap?
>
> The virtual size of g++ when compiling the swig generated code is on
> the order of 350 - 400MB for the x86 architecture.  I don't expect
> it's much different for ARM.

Ah!  DRAM / swap is probably the issue.  I'm working on a TS-7300
from EmbeddedArm < http://www.embeddedarm.com/epc/ts7300-spec-h.htm
 >; our boards have the 128 MB of SDRAM - which is too small for
direct compilation of the SWIG code w/o a swap space.  The
compilation I did was without swap space.

THe best alternative is probably getting a XC environment up and
running - e.g. OpenEmbedded, ScratchBox, buildroot, or just plain old
Crosstools.  From what I hear on other lists, the first is generally
considered "the best" (I have no experience with any of them).

I also remember OE flying around on this list a while back.  Did
anyone successfully get GNU Radio compiling in OE?  There was some
talk about FFTW not being available or something ... was that the
primary issue? - MLD