Forum: Radiant CMS Combined rss feed and more?

964ab831db8c813d1d7cdf2322810e54?d=identicon&s=25 Martin Olsson (Guest)
Hello,

I'm new to this list, I'm new to Radiant, and I'm new to Ruby on
Rails. I am programmer and interface designer and I'm not new to
working with a cms - I've even created one of my own that had a very
similar philosophy to Radiant, but build in java and templated using
XSLT.

Now I've decided to create my own personal page using Radiant, and I
love how easy it was to set it all up. I have a few peices left
before I'm done and I'm wondering if anyone would like to help me out:

1. Should I use Mental? Thanks to Sean Cribbs for the blog post - it
cleared up most questions, but not all of them.
    Will I be able to migrate my data as Mental evolves?
    What extensions are already released? I want comments and tagging/
keywords.

2. I've been tinkering with a hierarchical blog-like structure, like
this:

smpl.se/
  - rss
smpl.se/things
  - archive
  - rss
  - [posts]
smpl.se/thoughts
  - archive
  - rss
  - [posts]

I want separate rss-feeds for "things" and "thoughts" - which works
perfectly.

I also want a combined rss-feed at smpl.se/rss that recurses down and
aggregates all the updates.

My first approach was to just use the sample code provided in the
styled blog and point it to "/" instead of "articles". This doesn't
work - I suspect it goes into some kind of loop beacause my server
goes all huffy and puffy and has to be restarted.

Right now I have glued it together by just hardcoding first "things"
then "thoughts", but I would like the combined feed to be
chronological instead. I would also like to be able to add new
'categories' without having to update the feed page.

Is there some really smart and pretty way to recurse downwards,
picking out new pages (but skipping stuff like rss and archives),
creating a chornological feed of the latest new pages on the whole site?

Radiant is looking really good. It seems _almost_ perfect for
smpl.se, and I'm willing to contribute to making it even better and
customize it to my needs.

Regards,
Martin Olsson
martin@smpl.se
329bfa71096934d3a0c530f59577eb22?d=identicon&s=25 Todd McGrath (Guest)

If I understand correctly, I have a similar need in creating XML pages
based on
content for "regular" HTML pages.  Here's one idead - how about creating
something like:

smpl.se/
smpl.se/things
  - archive
  - [posts]
smpl.se/thoughts
  - archive
  - [posts]
smpl.se/rss
  - thoughts_rss
  - things_rss
  - rss

In this way, when you can recurse using r:find you'll know if you are in
the RSS
or HTML section of the tree.  In your rss files, you can pull in
settings from
pages (title, url, page parts, etc.).  When you update the HTML pages,
the RSS
feeds will be automatically updated.

More info on recursion- if I'm reading the source for the find tag
correctly,
the url attribute is used in a find_by method.  So, in this attribute, a
regular expression that includes some things and not others will not be
available for use.

I'm fairly new too, so maybe/hopefully other people have ideas.

Todd

Quoting Martin Olsson <martin@smpl.se>:
964ab831db8c813d1d7cdf2322810e54?d=identicon&s=25 Martin Olsson (Guest)
Hi Todd,

Thanks for the suggestion. That cold actually be a rather good
solution. I'd have:

smpl.se/things
smpl.se/thoughts
smpl.se/rss   <- combined
smpl.se/rss/things
smpl.se/rss/thoughts

Pretty, no?

Sometimes the simplest solution is the nicest one. Thanks!

/Martin

martin@smpl.se
2a8b3ea15e6a7c2d49d8554c2b58a1d9?d=identicon&s=25 BJ Clark (Guest)
Martin,
I'm the biggest fan of Radiant, but mephisto does exactly what you
want and is probably a better match for you.

Just my $.02USD
BJ Clark
964ab831db8c813d1d7cdf2322810e54?d=identicon&s=25 Martin Olsson (Guest)
Yeah, I've been looking at Mephisto as well, but I like the
"philosophy" behind Radiant more. I couldn't really get my head
around how Mephisto worked. Radiant seems cleaner, at the expense of
less functions like comments and stuff.

If you really want to convince me I'll be standing by for the
Mephisto sales pitch . . .

Regards,
Martin

smpl.se
C29d5f19f2bc5c2722abb157023dd199?d=identicon&s=25 Andrew Klein (Guest)
Hello all!

Still getting a hang of this all and just looking for some
input;insight. I've been running a fairly simple design of Radiant
(Read: almost source) and want to expand the design a little. Here is
kind of what I want to do:

- Home (Shows either just News or all of the <dont know> heading,
chronilogically)
-- <dont know what to call>
--- News
--- Articles
--- Tutorials
-- Downloads
-- Gallery
-- RSS (Covers chronologically the news/articles/tutorial tree)
--- RSS <one for each of the news/articles/tutorials>

I just need some insight on how to do the RSS feeds. Also, curious if
you could include 'categories' somehow or 'tags' for each Sub under all
the categories.

As well, wondering if there is plans for a commenting system.
Originally, when I was looking at using Radiant, I seemed to remember
there being a third-party site for including managable comment system
and as such I was going to use that, but so far the only one available
is pretty crappy that I can find (Don't have link; I left pretty
digusted at it)

Sorry for the ignorance right now. I am just trying to get up and going
again and having a duck of a time.
Thanks for all the patience!
Andrew
C29d5f19f2bc5c2722abb157023dd199?d=identicon&s=25 Andrew Klein (Guest)
Hey all!

Just wondering if anyone has a solution for me. Your help would be
GREATLY appreciated!

Andrew
6ec6f77ea603dd75b3a7a7775b059e79?d=identicon&s=25 John W. Long (Guest)
Andrew Klein wrote:
> --- Tutorials
> -- Downloads
> -- Gallery
> -- RSS (Covers chronologically the news/articles/tutorial tree)
> --- RSS <one for each of the news/articles/tutorials>
>
> I just need some insight on how to do the RSS feeds. Also, curious if
> you could include 'categories' somehow or 'tags' for each Sub under all
> the categories.

Presently, there is not an easy way to provide a list of articles from a
tree. You can list a page's immediate children with the <r:children />
tag, but you will probably need to create a custom tag if you want to
display an entire branch of a tree.

> As well, wondering if there is plans for a commenting system.

Commenting is scheduled to be incorporated in the release following the
next release. The focus of the next release is the extension system. The
focus of the following release is blogging.

I believe Sean Cribbs has done some work on a commenting extension.

--
John Long
http://wiseheartdesign.com