Forum: Ruby How do you run a .rb file in mac?

8bdddd063b4c48ce00d3bc3ee5a46e31?d=identicon&s=25 Dark Lord (the-dark-lord)
on 2007-01-27 07:21
Hello. I created a ruby program in Smultron, but I couldn't figure out
how to run it on a mac. Should I download anything to execute it? I
thought Macs had ruby pre -installed.  Thanks.
9d1db4326350cea545c52f11a2bfc3b2?d=identicon&s=25 Nathan Smith (Guest)
On 1/27/07, Dark Lord <sauron_the_great004@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello. I created a ruby program in Smultron, but I couldn't figure out
> how to run it on a mac. Should I download anything to execute it? I
> thought Macs had ruby pre -installed.  Thanks.
>
> --

Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app and type: ruby file.rb

You could also type irb to get an interactive console.

Nate
8bdddd063b4c48ce00d3bc3ee5a46e31?d=identicon&s=25 Dark Lord (the-dark-lord)
on 2007-01-27 09:37
Nathan Smith wrote:

> Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app and type: ruby file.rb
>
> You could also type irb to get an interactive console.
>
> Nate

Thanks a lot, Nate. It worked. :)
2f24c382600d9fd71085a74251fd5a39?d=identicon&s=25 Damian Terentyev (Guest)
Good day!

On Jan 27, 2007, at 10:03, Nathan Smith wrote:

> Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app and type: ruby file.rb
>
> You could also type irb to get an interactive console.
>
> Nate

You can also add the following line at the very beginning of your ruby
script:

#!/usr/bin/env ruby

and then run the following command in the Terminal.app:

chmod u+x /path/to/your/file.rb

Then you'll be able to invoke the file by its name.

By the way, ruby that comes with OS X is a bit outdated, so it will be
not a bad option to install a fresh version. The simplest approach is
to use MacPorts.

Your sincerely,
Damian/Three-eyed Fish