Forum: Ruby on Rails generic methods (like find_by_xxx)

D038c5d90a88bf31c73b300f73860126?d=identicon&s=25 Fernando Poblete (fipa)
on 2007-01-26 20:04
I need to load external data from files coming from different sources so
I need to standardize a lot. What I want to do (after a proper file
processing) would be something like: = format_name(array[0])
person.last_name = format_last_name(array[1]) = format_country(array[2]) = format_email(array[3]) = format_website(array[4])

The thing is what most of those format_xxx methods
(name,last_name,country,...) do is just capitalize the input so I would
like to have a default method that catches all the format_xxx calls,
except those that need some special formatting -like email or website-
and that will have an ad-hoc -application level- format method.

I'm thinking in adding some code to method_missing in base.rb. Is this a
good idea? If so, how could it be? Or is there a better way to do it?

PD. IT's my first post here... great community.
C4dc94c893471878a105761a9207f29b?d=identicon&s=25 Zack Chandler (Guest)
On 1/26/07, Fernando Poblete <> wrote:
> = format_website(array[4])
> thanks
> PD. IT's my first post here... great community.
> --

I would look at the callbacks in ActiveRecord.  In particular I can
see using a before_validation callback to clean the attributes as

Hope this helps.

Zack Chandler