Forum: Ruby Recommendation for Simple GUI Development

5ff5c005dfad95bc14ed2f16e84658e2?d=identicon&s=25 billbell52 (Guest)
I am looking for a quick easy GUI development capability that runs on
both Windows and Linux.  Today, I am using Excel's VBA to create a GUI
and using that to control running the Ruby scipts.   It is a simple 20
minute job to create a GUI to control different Ruby scripts and I use
Excel to report back results.   I would like to have the same solution
that runs on Linux and Windows.  I thought I would use QT4 from
Trolltech.  They have a nice GUI  development environment that allows
you to quickly develop a GUI but I cannot find any Ruby GEM that binds
QT4 to Ruby on the PC - so no go.  I looked at some other solutions but
all of the them seem to required a lot of development time to create
the GUI.

I need widgets like a tabbed panel, listbox, combobox, optionbox,
checkbox, textbox

Any other recommendations?
billbell52 wrote:
> the GUI.
>
> I need widgets like a tabbed panel, listbox, combobox, optionbox,
> checkbox, textbox
>
> Any other recommendations?

Given the requirement for both Windows and Linux and relatively seamless
development, my recommendation is to use Ruby/Tk. It's portable, easily
obtained for both Windows and Linux and comes with lots of examples. You
might also want to have a look at the Komodo Editor. I know the full
Komodo package comes with nice integration for Tk, especially
ActiveState Tcl/Tk on Windows, but I don't know if the free as in beer
editor has all that. If you have the budget, get a full Komodo license
to develop with on your Windows box and use the Linux editor to test on
Linux.

I thought the Ruby bindings for Qt4 were in pretty good shape on both
Windows and Linux. Can someone here comment on the status? I'd hate to
see you abandon Qt4; it's really a first-class GUI platform and the
widgets look and feel much better than the Tk ones.

http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/

If God had meant for carrots to be eaten cooked, He would have given
rabbits fire.
45196398e9685000d195ec626d477f0e?d=identicon&s=25 Trans (Guest)
> the GUI.
>
> I need widgets like a tabbed panel, listbox, combobox, optionbox,
> checkbox, textbox
>
> Any other recommendations?

If your needs do not require advanced graphic requirements, the best
course of action is to write a servlet accessed via the browser -- an
HTML GUI. It's easy enough for a script tostart the servlet and launche
the users prefered browser accessing it in one shot. With a little more
cleverness one can even deacivate bowser menus and toolbars even --it
would be hard to tell such a browser window from any other GUI app.

T.
05be5d6610e2c3f1780aa0e39e902e93?d=identicon&s=25 Farrel Lifson (Guest)
On 26/01/07, billbell52 <billb@ti.com> wrote:
> the GUI.
>
> I need widgets like a tabbed panel, listbox, combobox, optionbox,
> checkbox, textbox
>
> Any other recommendations?

FoxGUIB - http://fox-tool.rubyforge.org/. It let's you build a FOX
based GUI and it's written in Ruby. It works for me on Windows,
haven't tried it on Linux.

Farrel
48d1aca7191f2d16e184971054c7c143?d=identicon&s=25 Meinrad Recheis (Guest)
On 1/26/07, Farrel Lifson <farrel.lifson@gmail.com> wrote:
> > all of the them seem to required a lot of development time to create
> FoxGUIB - http://fox-tool.rubyforge.org/. It let's you build a FOX
> based GUI and it's written in Ruby. It works for me on Windows,
> haven't tried it on Linux.
>
> Farrel

foxGUIb is a quick and simple way of creating fxruby gui code. fxruby
/ fox has all the things you need, but the look and feel is very rigid
and windows 2000 like.
annother possibility is the excellent Java Swing Toolkit. but then you
need to go with JRuby.

-- henon (author of foxGUIb)
Ff7c333574fd4cd19f5925f6c71abda5?d=identicon&s=25 Johan Veenstra (Guest)

http://rubyforge.org/projects/korundum/
Meinrad Recheis wrote:
>> > QT4 to Ruby on the PC - so no go.  I looked at some other solutions
>> >
> and windows 2000 like.
Given that they are on Windows 98, wouldn't a Windows 2000 look and feel
be a step forward? :)

Johan Veenstra wrote:
> On 1/26/07, billbell52 <billb@ti.com> wrote:
>>
>> I thought I would use QT4 from
>> Trolltech.  They have a nice GUI  development environment that allows
>> you to quickly develop a GUI but I cannot find any Ruby GEM that binds
>> QT4 to Ruby on the PC - so no go.
>

> http://rubyforge.org/projects/korundum/

Korundum runs on Windows??

http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/

If God had meant for carrots to be eaten cooked, He would have given
rabbits fire.
6087a044557d6b59ab52e7dd20f94da8?d=identicon&s=25 Peña, Botp (Guest)
# based GUI and it's written in Ruby. It works for me on Windows,
# haven't tried it on Linux.

this is a great step.
i just downloaded and did a quick try.
I cannot seem to do drag and drop (like forms) nor can I stretch widgets
by dragging. Tips pls..

Thanks for foxguib.
kind regards -botp
On 1/27/07, Peña, Botp <botp@delmonte-phil.com> wrote:
> From: Farrel Lifson [mailto:farrel.lifson@gmail.com] :
> # FoxGUIB - http://fox-tool.rubyforge.org/. It let's you build a FOX
> # based GUI and it's written in Ruby. It works for me on Windows,
> # haven't tried it on Linux.
>
> this is a great step.
> i just downloaded and did a quick try.
> I cannot seem to do drag and drop (like forms) nor can I stretch widgets by dragging.
Tips pls..

hi,
position and size of widgets is meant to be controlled by layout hints
in fox toolkit. it is also possible to position widgets explicitly but
it is not recommended. please have a look at the foxGUIb user guide to
find out about how widget layout in fox works.

http://www.mikeparr.info/rubyguib/foxguibguide.htm
hth,
-- henon