Forum: Ruby Free as in beer Komodo editor

The folks at ActiveState have "freed the dragon". They used to have two
versions of Komodo, a "personal edition" which was priced around $29 and
was only for non-commercial use and had fewer features, and the fully
featured version. With the release of Komodo 4.0, they decided to remove
the non-commercial restriction and make the "Komodo Editor" free. Here's
a feature comparison of what's in the two versions:

Hi Chris-
>  Debugger                 *
>  Interactive Shells       *
>  Project manager          *    *
>  Toolbox                  *    *
>  HTTP Inspector           *
>  DOM Viewer               *
>  Rx Toolkit               *
>  Code Browser             *
>  SCC                      *
>  PDK integration          *

So this is another entry in the "Ruby IDE" category. I still think I'm
going to go with KDevelop over Komodo because of its ability to handle
compiled languages and it's freedom, but I'm going to have a hard look
at the free Komodo editor at work, where I have quite a bit of Perl code
that I might want to port to Ruby.

http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/

If God had meant for carrots to be eaten cooked, He would have given
rabbits fire.

> The folks at ActiveState have "freed the dragon". They used to have two
> versions of Komodo, a "personal edition" which was priced around $29 and
> was only for non-commercial use and had fewer features, and the fully
> featured version. With the release of Komodo 4.0, they decided to remove
> the non-commercial restriction and make the "Komodo Editor" free. Here's
> a feature comparison of what's in the two versions:
> <snip>          *
>
> So this is another entry in the "Ruby IDE" category.

If I correctly interpret the  license it not really is :(
http://www.activestate.com/products/komodo_ide/bet...

I find that license unacceptable (unless I misunderstand)
* After 6 month, or upon written notification or upon a commercial
release I
have to discontinue usage.
* I *have to* provide test feedback.

No Sir, not my choice.

I would happily have accepted a closed license (as in free beer;) as
long as
I do not have to stop drinking beer upon written notice and send a bug
report to the brewing company whenever my beer was not good!

I still think I'm
> going to go with KDevelop over Komodo

seems a very good decision to me

because of its ability to handle
> compiled languages and it's freedom, but I'm going to have a hard look
> at the free Komodo editor at work, where I have quite a bit of Perl code
> that I might want to port to Ruby.
>
> --
> M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, FBG, AB, PTA, PGS, MS, MNLP, NST, ACMC(P)
> http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/
>
> If God had meant for carrots to be eaten cooked, He would have given
> rabbits fire.

Robert
Robert Dober wrote:
>> So this is another entry in the "Ruby IDE" category.
>
> No Sir, not my choice.
>
> I would happily have accepted a closed license (as in free beer;) as
> long as
> I do not have to stop drinking beer upon written notice and send a bug
> report to the brewing company whenever my beer was not good!
Komodo Editor is still in beta. That's a standard sort of beta test
license -- "if you like it, tell your friends, if you *don't* like it,
tell *us*!" :)

My day job forbids us to do beta tests on company equipment, so I can't
actually use it at work until it's formally released. At that point, I
need to clear the real license with the powers that be. I sort of beta
tested the Komodo 4 at home on Linux -- I verified that it would install
on Gentoo, which was about all I had time to do before it went into
general release.