Forum: Ruby inter-platform communication

F3ef5d2153977bbaa7cdb45bba5037e7?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)

I'm trying to find a new way to achieve inter-platform communication.
I'm currently using web services to pass data between a Solaris
machine, a Windows machine and a Linux machine. I would like to find
out if ruby can help me out in any way. Does ruby implement any RMI
system? Does it have SOAP+WSDL capabilities?

Thanks,
Tiberiu
05be5d6610e2c3f1780aa0e39e902e93?d=identicon&s=25 Farrel Lifson (Guest)
On 25/01/07, tiberiu.motoc@gmail.com <tiberiu.motoc@gmail.com> wrote:

Have a look at dRb (distributed Ruby). It's in the standard library.
It does not have SOAP/WSDL capabilities as far as I know, it uses a
Ruby specific protocol.

Farrel
Ad7805c9fcc1f13efc6ed11251a6c4d2?d=identicon&s=25 Alex Young (regularfry)
Farrel Lifson wrote:
>> Tiberiu
>>

> Have a look at dRb (distributed Ruby). It's in the standard library.
> It does not have SOAP/WSDL capabilities as far as I know, it uses a
> Ruby specific protocol.
If you need XML-RPC or SOAP, then they're both in the standard library
too.
245cfab887781bdf3f53178b794c42dc?d=identicon&s=25 Alexandru E. Ungur (Guest)
>>> sender: "tiberiu.motoc@gmail.com" date: "Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 04:35:16PM +0900" <<<EOQ
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to find a new way to achieve inter-platform communication.
> I'm currently using web services to pass data between a Solaris
> machine, a Windows machine and a Linux machine. I would like to find
> out if ruby can help me out in any way. Does ruby implement any RMI
> system? Does it have SOAP+WSDL capabilities?
Hi all,

You could also try the 9P protocol from Plan9[1]. There are at least
two Ruby implementations[2] of it and even if you won't end up using
it, it's definitely something worth reading.

Good luck,
Alex

[1] http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9/
[2] http://cat-v.org/9p/
F3ef5d2153977bbaa7cdb45bba5037e7?d=identicon&s=25 unknown (Guest)
Hi. Thanks to everyone for the tips.

Tiberiu