Forum: Ruby-Gnome 2 PanelApplet deprecated?

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
820308d5db420d7f0e1d0ba97e09f520?d=identicon&s=25 Grant McLean (Guest)
on 2007-01-25 07:50
(Received via mailing list)
My SSHMenu program ( http://www.mclean.net.nz/ruby/sshmenu/ ) uses the
PanelApplet class as follows ...

  ...
  require 'panelapplet2'

  PanelApplet.main("OAFIID:GNOME_SSHMenuApplet_Factory",
                   "SSH Menu Applet", "0.1") do |applet, iid|
  ...

I've just received email from a user pointing out that this page ...

  http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/hiki.cgi?Ruby-GN...

... says that PanelApplet is deprecated in favour of Gtk::StatusIcon.

That seems odd to me because
a) they seem to do very different things and
b) I can't see any mention of the underlying libpanel-applet c code
   being deprecated:
http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/panel-apple...


I also can no longer find the documentation for the PanelApplet class.
It used to exist because I referred to it while writing my program.  I
thought it was at this URL but it doesn't seem to be:

http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/hiki.cgi?Ruby/PanelApplet

Am I going mad?

Regards
Grant


-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share
your
opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys - and earn cash
http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p...
Ee6ffca720cc428d70247dcd7377dd48?d=identicon&s=25 Kouhei Sutou (Guest)
on 2007-01-25 08:31
(Received via mailing list)
Hi,

2007/1/25, Grant McLean <grant@mclean.net.nz>:

> http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/hiki.cgi?Ruby-GN...
>
> ... says that PanelApplet is deprecated in favour of Gtk::StatusIcon.

It's right.

> That seems odd to me because
> a) they seem to do very different things and
> b) I can't see any mention of the underlying libpanel-applet c code
>    being deprecated:
> http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/panel-apple...

  http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/GtkStat...
and
  http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Standards/systemtray-spec
may help you.


Thanks,
--
kou

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share
your
opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys - and earn cash
http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p...
820308d5db420d7f0e1d0ba97e09f520?d=identicon&s=25 Grant McLean (Guest)
on 2007-01-25 08:47
(Received via mailing list)
Hi

Thanks for your quick reply.

On Thu, 2007-01-25 at 16:30 +0900, Kouhei Sutou wrote:
> > That seems odd to me because
> > a) they seem to do very different things and

I'm still confused about this point.

> > b) I can't see any mention of the underlying libpanel-applet c code
> >    being deprecated:
> > http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/panel-apple...
>
>   http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/GtkStat...

The page you linked to says that the GtkStatusIcon routines are for
displaying an icon in the system tray.  It says nothing about applets.

On my GNOME desktop, the 'system tray' is provided by the "Notification
Area Applet" and it displays icons that only appear when an event
happens (eg: a software update is available, battery power is low etc).

The panelapplet library is used for writing applets - tools which can be
added to the GNOME panel and remain there as visible icons/buttons,
which you can interact with

I still don't see how I would use GtkStatusIcon to create an applet and
if I did, how I would get it to appear on the panel rather than in the
system tray.

Regards
Grant


-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share
your
opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys - and earn cash
http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p...
Ee6ffca720cc428d70247dcd7377dd48?d=identicon&s=25 Kouhei Sutou (Guest)
on 2007-01-25 13:04
(Received via mailing list)
Hi,

In <1169711177.6615.23.camel@localhost.localdomain>
  "Re: [ruby-gnome2-devel-en] PanelApplet deprecated?" on Thu, 25 Jan
2007 20:46:17 +1300,
  Grant McLean <grant@mclean.net.nz> wrote:

>
> Area Applet" and it displays icons that only appear when an event
> happens (eg: a software update is available, battery power is low etc).
>
> The panelapplet library is used for writing applets - tools which can be
> added to the GNOME panel and remain there as visible icons/buttons,
> which you can interact with
>
> I still don't see how I would use GtkStatusIcon to create an applet and
> if I did, how I would get it to appear on the panel rather than in the
> system tray.

Ah, OK. I understand. You need to create Bonobo object,
don't you? I'm sorry for my wrong pointers.


Thanks,
--
kou

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share
your
opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys - and earn cash
http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p...
9fe908f5593444a40be14a424c372e58?d=identicon&s=25 Masao Mutoh (Guest)
on 2007-01-25 17:56
(Received via mailing list)
Hi,

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 19:48:52 +1300
Grant McLean <grant@mclean.net.nz> wrote:

> http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/panel-apple...
>
>
> I also can no longer find the documentation for the PanelApplet class.
> It used to exist because I referred to it while writing my program.  I
> thought it was at this URL but it doesn't seem to be:
>
> http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/hiki.cgi?Ruby/PanelApplet
>
> Am I going mad?

Ruby/PanelApplet is deprecated in Ruby-GNOME2 project now.
Because there is no one who maintains it.
Of course, it doesn't mean it is deprecated from GNOME2 world.

But also, it is included in Ruby-GNOME2-0.16.0.
It won't include to Ruby-GNOME2 tar ball in the future,
but at least you can use it now and until some releases later.

Now, I consider to reduce our libraries which has been not maintained
for a long time.
Actually, I removed Ruby/Libgda and Ruby/GStreamer from 0.16.0.
I know someone don't hope it, but I can't mainatin all of these
libraries by myself.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share
your
opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys - and earn cash
http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p...
820308d5db420d7f0e1d0ba97e09f520?d=identicon&s=25 Grant McLean (Guest)
on 2007-01-25 20:40
(Received via mailing list)
On Fri, 2007-01-26 at 01:54 +0900, Masao Mutoh wrote:
> >
> >
> but at least you can use it now and until some releases later.
Is Ruby/PanelApplet broken?  If not, I don't understand the motivation
for removing it.

> Now, I consider to reduce our libraries which has been not maintained for a long time.
> Actually, I removed Ruby/Libgda and Ruby/GStreamer from 0.16.0.
> I know someone don't hope it, but I can't mainatin all of these libraries by myself.

I certainly appreciate the effort you put into creating and maintaining
these libraries.  I hope I did not appear demanding in my enquiry.

Regards
Grant


-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share
your
opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys - and earn cash
http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p...
9fe908f5593444a40be14a424c372e58?d=identicon&s=25 Masao Mutoh (Guest)
on 2007-01-26 15:28
(Received via mailing list)
Hi,

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 08:39:54 +1300
Grant McLean <grant@mclean.net.nz> wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-01-26 at 01:54 +0900, Masao Mutoh wrote:
> > Hi,

> > But also, it is included in Ruby-GNOME2-0.16.0.
> > It won't include to Ruby-GNOME2 tar ball in the future,
> > but at least you can use it now and until some releases later.
>
> Is Ruby/PanelApplet broken?  If not, I don't understand the motivation
> for removing it.

It's my mind, not you.
If you help us, I may change my mind.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share
your
opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys - and earn cash
http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p...
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.