Forum: Ruby on Rails Re: Rails bug reports & patches - why no action?

F3158b6c62d112e4aba9579953e925db?d=identicon&s=25 Wybo Wiersma (wybo)
> I have noticed at the site that many tickets with
> pretty clear-cut bug reports/patches or feature enhancements don't get
> any attention. They sit there for months at a time. Why is this? Are
> tickets from those that are not in rails-core deprioritized? Are there
> just not enough people that have the power to act on tickets? I know
> it's not lack of test cases because I see tickets with test cases
> attached that are also ignored.

I have the same question. I submitted a patch for 4 bugs in 1.6 a
few months ago, of which one is still not fixed in 1.2.1, namely
the strange reversal of delete and destroy in case of clear on a
has_many collection. Of course in this case it is "all hail monkey-
patching", but still sad that all this code/maintenance is duplicated.

Of course I understand that it can take time, but I don't think that
it would be hard to find more (good/trustworthy) people that are
willing to check and integrate patches...

For those impatient, the monkey-patch code below:

module ActiveRecord
  module Associations
    class AssociationCollection
      # Removes all records from this association.  Returns +self+ so
method calls may be chained.
      def clear
        return self if # forces load_target if hasn't
happened already

        if @reflection.options[:dependent] &&
@reflection.options[:dependent] == :destroy

- History, Informatiekunde (computer linguistics, IR, webtech) and
- Member of the Center for Metahistory Groningen

::Free Software and Open Source Developer:
-, innovative system for cumulative, shared
                           publication and idea sharing: Web as it
should be...
- ComLinToo, a computational linguistics toolset written in Perl
- Lake ( Make), a make-replacement using makefiles in pure

- In the world, go figure (