Forum: Ruby on Rails Setting up your MacBook for ROR

C8ef22bb0256e9e31371530dfa86ec2b?d=identicon&s=25 Chet (Guest)
on 2007-01-22 17:02
I am getting my new MacBook today and was wondering if the experts on
this list might have some tips and pointers about what they do to set up
their Macs as a RubyonRails dev machine?

I come from a windows background and some of this is essential there.
But in the case of Macs do you recommend,

 * installing the OS from scratch
 * adding/removing any default applications from the install
 * any other system/OS level tuning

I do intend to use the Hivelogic/Geoffrey Grosenbach's tips to get the
Ruby, Rails, MySQL, Mongrel setup done. Suggestions/comments welcome.

Thanks.

Chet
72e9277a5fd803ebd50c28f940ec81eb?d=identicon&s=25 Michael (Guest)
I found this page in the apple developer site to be pretty helpful:

http://developer.apple.com/tools/rubyonrails.html

It might be a little dated but i've used it to set up rails before with
postgres
5c27aa958030eed6817e4b2295d2040b?d=identicon&s=25 Ja Bo (jabo)
on 2007-01-22 17:09
I compiled it from scratch, it is not incredibly difficult if you follow
the following guidelines :
http://hivelogic.com/narrative/articles/ruby_rails...

Otherwise there is always Locomotiv, haven't used it for more info :
http://locomotive.raaum.org/

The last one is maybe a little more Mac Way, but in the Agile book they
recommend the first one...
1d370cf2baadfc3c347da7703088e8d0?d=identicon&s=25 Petar (Guest)
I have tried multiple ways of installing RoR on my macbook.
Finally I went with: http://locomotive.raaum.org

Hassle-free, and works perfectly for me.

Some extra programs I use are:
TextMate for coding and VirtueDesktops for switching between code and
browser.

Good luck.
On 22 Jan 2007, at 17:09, Ja Bo wrote:

> they
> recommend the first one...

I would recommend http://nubyonrails.com/articles/2005/12/29/an-even-
better-way-to-build-ruby-rails-lighttpd-and-mysql-on-tiger

This one uses Mongrel instead of Lighttpd and it's all packed in a
nice shell script. I also used the hivelogic setup, but mongrel seems
to be the preferred way of running rails apps nowadays.

Best regards

Peter De Berdt
C8ef22bb0256e9e31371530dfa86ec2b?d=identicon&s=25 Chet (Guest)
on 2007-01-22 17:22
Thanks for the superfast responses, folks. Very helpful.

I was curious to hear if you recommend any additional steps *before* I
begin the Ruby/Rails/MySQL/Mongrel install. i.e. reinstall the OS from
scratch, add/remove any utils etc.

There might be a simple *No* answer to this, but coming from a windows
background, wanted to check if these steps are needed in the Mac world
specifically for a ROR dev machine.

Thanks.
B5259d7e4a3095ef961469d132880b94?d=identicon&s=25 Stephen Gerstacker (Guest)
Macs don't really come with a lot of extra crap like a Dell does.  The
pre-installed OS should be fine.

For an editor, I've been using TextMate (http://macromates.com/).  I
must
have got a discount, because I don't remember ever paying ~$50 for it,
but
it's a great editor for any task.

I haven't run RadRails (http://radrails.org/) on Mac OS X, but it also
is a
great environment to work in.

Stephen Gerstacker
On 22 Jan 2007, at 17:22, Chet wrote:

> Thanks for the superfast responses, folks. Very helpful.
>
> I was curious to hear if you recommend any additional steps *before* I
> begin the Ruby/Rails/MySQL/Mongrel install. i.e. reinstall the OS from
> scratch, add/remove any utils etc.
>
> There might be a simple *No* answer to this, but coming from a windows
> background, wanted to check if these steps are needed in the Mac world
> specifically for a ROR dev machine.

Then let me be the first to simply say: "No" :-) A Mac doesn't come
with a heap of crap applications like some PC suppliers (*ahum* Dell
*ahum*). Should you get into disk space problems, you could remove
GarageBand (and it's related files in Library > Application Support)
if you don't use it, but with hard drives nowadays, that probably
won't be necessary in the first few months :-). You can also skip a
virus scanner and spyware/adware remover, so for the first time in
your life, your portable won't lose 10% of its processing power just
to keep your mind at ease.

I can recommend you some of my Mac favorites:
• TextMate (the must have Rails editor if you are on a Mac)
• QuickSilver (http://quicksilver.blacktree.com/)
• iTerm (Terminal with some extra nifty features)
• Transmit ((S)FTP)
• Vienna (RSS reader)
• Adium (Instant Messaging)

If you want to find these apps, check out http://www.versiontracker.com/

Best regards

Peter De Berdt
B84d42a3a5c343f8fc6ab7d7f47fd3f5?d=identicon&s=25 Robby Russell (Guest)
Chet wrote:

> I do intend to use the Hivelogic/Geoffrey Grosenbach's tips to get the
> Ruby, Rails, MySQL, Mongrel setup done. Suggestions/comments welcome.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Chet

This is how we setup our laptops at PLANET ARGON... just we use
PostgreSQL not MySQL... but the rest should be helpful to you.

* http://rubyurl.com/TwL

Good luck!

Cheers,

Robby

--
Robby Russell
http://www.robbyonrails.com/
On Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 05:02:31PM +0100, Chet wrote:

> I do intend to use the Hivelogic/Geoffrey Grosenbach's tips to get the
> Ruby, Rails, MySQL, Mongrel setup done. Suggestions/comments welcome.

I happen to like X11 as an environment for development (editors and
shells,
primarily, with various OS X apps for other things) so I installed X11
from
the install DVD. You'll also need the developer tools (XCode) from the
install DVD so that RubyGems will be able to compile extensions.

I used Fink to install most everything (Ruby executables, my editor, and
various convenient libraries, such as ImageMagick) RubyGems, then
installed
RubyGems by hand. From there it was a gem install.

> Thanks.
> Chet
--Greg
2f9a03aa0fcfe945229cb6126eda2cb2?d=identicon&s=25 Philip Hallstrom (Guest)

> I do intend to use the Hivelogic/Geoffrey Grosenbach's tips to get the
> Ruby, Rails, MySQL, Mongrel setup done. Suggestions/comments welcome.

This is an updated "version" of Hivelogic's instructions, but uses
Mongrel
instead of Lighttpd, adds in rmagick and memcache, etc...

It's 99% copy paste too which is nice :)

http://blog.pjkh.com/2007/1/15/building-rails-and-...
4fbadf51bbaa420ab4ebc0e516db1125?d=identicon&s=25 Tom de Grunt (tdegrunt)
on 2007-01-22 21:28
I personally like the MacPorts/DarwinPorts way of doing things:
sudo port install ruby rb-rubygems
sudo gem install -y rails

Easy! :)
83ebc62f7de94a07657f2222d3648cfd?d=identicon&s=25 Ben (Guest)
Tom De grunt wrote:
> I personally like the MacPorts/DarwinPorts way of doing things:

I'd second this method, I also jotted down a quick reference for how I
setup my MacBook Pro for Rails coding.

http://www.slashdotdash.net/articles/2006/11/10/ap...

Ben