Forum: Ruby on Rails best way to do facebook style photo gallery ? use flash ?

Eric G. (Guest)
on 2007-01-21 11:50
Hey guys, Im trying to create a photo gallery where photos are listed,
but when a user clicks in to one, they can click next and previous.

Im trying to do the most efficient way here. Im thinking I need to store
the entire set of photos so I know where the photo is in relation to the
other photos in the set so I know the next photo and the previous.

I was thinking of flashing the photo set across the pages, that way I
dont have to do a database call.

I could put the photos into the session as well, that way I dont have to
worry about flashing all the time.

Any ideas? Keep in mind that I want to use as little server side
resources as possible. =)

Thanks in advance...
(Guest)
class Model < ARB
   acts_as_list
end

Controller:
@object = Model.find(params[:id])

@object.next
@object.previous

On Jan 21, 10:50 am, Aryk G. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
kena (Guest)
"Aryk G. Wrote£º
"
> I could put the photos into the session as well, that way I dont have to
> worry about flashing all the time.
>
> Any ideas? Keep in mind that I want to use as little server side
> resources as possible. =)
>
> Thanks in advance...
>
> --

Hi Aryk G., you could try to make a picture slideshow with thumbnail
gallery templates. so that you'll see the thumbnail the pictures while
they are playing. Flash SlideShow Builder is a good program for doing
that. http://www.flash-slide-show.com/flash-slide-show.php?sid=3
This software is easy-to-master, and no flash background knowledge is
required, yet you can still make an excellent flash slideshow with 200+
transition effects, background music, text caption, etc.
Hope this would help.

You might find this useful:

http://www.huddletogether.com/projects/lightbox2/

--
Building an e-commerce site with Rails?
http://www.agilewebdevelopment.com/rails-ecommerce

Meet up at RailsConf:
http://railsconf2007.conferencemeetup.com/
Eric G. (Guest)
on 2007-01-22 23:31
I tried out the acts_as_list plugin and it works great. Thats exactly
what I had in mind. Makes sense that rails would have plugin for it
already.
DAN (Guest)
on 2007-01-24 09:41
Can the paginator be used with :per_page => 1 ?
Eric G. (Guest)
on 2007-01-24 20:39
well its not as clean, because you would have to be calling the
paginator on everypage or transfer it between pages via flash, using a
list is much cleaner, and doesnt require you having to invoke a
paginator.