Forum: Ruby ruby documentation browsing

gmarik (Guest)
Hi!

I'm new to ruby, and Ruby rox.

Being a new to Ruby i constantly look into documentation to get help
and so on, but i don't like the way i'm doing it now.

So for gems there's gem server - well it works for me just enough.
For the rest of documentation there's ri.

But what'd like to have is something like gem_server for core ruby
documentation, as it's more convenient for newcomers like me I think.
Documentation can be browsed easily, instead of 'guessing'(ri-like
style)

So does anyone know something that "acts like gem_server" :) for core
ruby docs?
Thanks!
Gregory Brown (Guest)
On 1/13/07, gmarik <gmarik@gmail.com> wrote:

> So does anyone know something that "acts like gem_server" :) for core
> ruby docs?

You can view the rdoc here: http://ruby-doc.org/core/
Also, the reference in the back of Programming Ruby, 2nd Edition
(Pickaxe) is great.
Jan Svitok (Guest)
On 1/14/07, gmarik <gmarik@gmail.com> wrote:
> But what'd like to have is something like gem_server for core ruby
> documentation, as it's more convenient for newcomers like me I think.
> Documentation can be browsed easily, instead of 'guessing'(ri-like
> style)
>
> So does anyone know something that "acts like gem_server" :) for core
> ruby docs?
> Thanks!

If you run RDoc on the ruby sources, you'll most probably get what you
can see on ruby-doc.org/core. Just generate the docs, and point your
browser to the appropriate files.

(you'll need to specify -od rdoc because doc is already taken)
lists (Guest)
On Jan 13, 2007, at 6:15 PM, gmarik wrote:

> But what'd like to have is something like gem_server for core ruby
> documentation, as it's more convenient for newcomers like me I think.
> Documentation can be browsed easily, instead of 'guessing'(ri-like
> style)
>
> So does anyone know something that "acts like gem_server" :) for core
> ruby docs?
> Thanks!

I like fxri: http://rubyforge.org/projects/fxri/ It's basically a GUI
searchable interface to Ri with a builtin irb.