Forum: Ruby where is $: defined?

78a18d36dfae2b8bfd6483d854e67189?d=identicon&s=25 Andreas S (Guest)
I'm installing my own ruby but need to use the other gnu tools from my
co-worker, who has ruby too. I 'm doing this to try stuff first before I
him to install it in his ruby, which is our standard.

However, my ruby is picking up library from his ruby installation
instead of
mine. I don't have any RUBY* environment variable, I don't find his path
my ruby Makefile nor configuration.

I did:
configure --prefix=/login/asn
make install

I do have my co-worker bin directory in my $PATH (then I removed it
afterward). Could my ruby installation picked up the library location
the existing ruby (my co-worker's)? How to tell it not to?

I know there are probably many variables that might have caused it, but
if I
know how that $: is set, I thought it might help. What could have set $:
when I build my ruby?

I've spending hours already to sort this out without any luck.

97550977337c9f0a0e1a9553e55bfaa0?d=identicon&s=25 Jan Svitok (Guest)
On 1/17/07, Andreas S <> wrote:
> make
> I've spending hours already to sort this out without any luck.
I suppose the default is compiled-in (the configure --something should
be the right path)
Note that this is just a hint, I'm not sure nor I have checked that.
78a18d36dfae2b8bfd6483d854e67189?d=identicon&s=25 Andreas S (Guest)
I don't see that incorrect path for $: defined any where in config* file
Makefile. It guess it must be derived from something. The miniruby got
right. The compiled ruby got it wrong.

[nm12681:ruby-junk] ./miniruby -e 'puts $:'
[nm12681:ruby-junk] ./ruby -e 'puts $:'

Don't know why the compiled ruby has wrong $: and why it's different
miniruby's $:. It looks like a particular problem, though, only when I
included my co-worker bin path.

I got it compiled with using different path (it has older gnu tools).
time the $: is correct. It picks up my ruby library.